Author Topic: When G40 met GTI - a pair of supercharged Polos!  (Read 4141 times)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
When G40 met GTI - a pair of supercharged Polos!
« on: October 28, 2011, 06:38:51 pm »
After trying to arrange it for about a year (marred by changing jobs and having no G40, then going to Korea the week it was supposed to come in), I've finally managed to get my hands on a Polo GTI for a week.

Which meant, finally, I got a chance to take a few pics with the G40. I don't have Photoshop at the moment, so these are straight off the camera, and a bit rushed as I only had a lunchtime to do this. But hopefully some of you will find this interesting!

As you can see, the GTI dwarfs the G40!

No Polo badge on the GTI. Just the three letters you want to see on that tailgate!

Two engines - both small, both supercharged, one with a turbo as well. Notice the battery on the GTI isn't under the bonnet, it's in the boot for better weight distribution, unlike the Fabia and Ibiza.

Rock solid Polo GTI interior:

And somewhere I like to be :)

The raked swage line is common to both. But the Mk8 is a much taller car, where the Mk3 is low and wide.

Best angle for the GTI, I think. And I reckon you can really see the family resemblance from this shot.

G40 is smaller even when perspective is on its side!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 09:45:26 pm by Alex »

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Re: When G40 met GTI - a pair of supercharged Polos!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 08:21:18 pm »
What are they like to drive back to back? Quite fancy one of these to replace the Corrado for the missus.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 08:33:02 pm »
Very different. I love how the GTI delivers its power though - it's got that unmistakeable supercharged lairiness off the mark, but I can't help thinking it'd be more fun with a manual box.

The thing is, we've had years where the Polo has been the poor relation in performance stakes. The old GTs were too slow, the G40s didn't have the chassis to handle the power, Mk5s were outclassed by the Lupo GTI and the Mk7 had an engine that was nearly ten years old. This actually feels like they've put some work in, and created a car that's got its own personality compared to the bigger Golf.

This isn't any slower on paper, and it's much more eager to please, so feels faster on the road. It's like a proper little hot hatch, against the more grown up grand tourer Golf GTI. Possibly a little less accomplished but not much, and I quite like how it feels like it's not quite as straight laced as the Golf. It's a proper giggle.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the Mk6 Golf GTI, but it's a balance of fun and sensibility whereas this just feels built to put a smile on your face.

That said, compare the Polo to a RenaultSport Clio 200 (IMHO the best hot hatch on the market bar none) and it's quite a different story. The Polo, by comparison, feels muted compared to the Clio but it's much better built and I'd say a lot easier to live with. The Clio's shouty, stiff and huge fun - the Polo's good fun but won't break your back, if you know what I mean.

Offline mini mayhem

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 09:15:15 pm »
Alex, the pictures have disappeared/ can we get them back?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 09:46:00 pm »
Done but they're original size images straight off the camera now not edited and Facebook resized ones.