Author Topic: G40 Turbo list  (Read 34820 times)

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: G40 Turbo list
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 02:54:44 pm »
GT still isn't great, but it's a cheap way of getting up and running. I'd like to try a 268° GT cam to see how it fairs.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 02:58:24 pm »
I want someone with a PSD turbo cam to get it measured!

Offline Max

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 04:31:12 pm »
I can try and find out mate.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 03:05:02 pm »
psd turbo cam is just a newman cam so can you not get the details from them?
i need a turbo cam too when i was talkin to steve (pitstop) a long time ago,
he was telling me the stock G40 cam is good up till around 4k then its like hitting a wall
the GT stock cam is better all round but still not great then he said he can still get hold of
the newman cams for about 140 pound. an this was after he finished up with pitstop.

maybe a newman group buy???
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 02:14:01 pm by lance »

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 09:11:34 pm »
A Newman "turbo specific" camshaft group buy sounds like a good idea.
Can anyone get in touch with Steve Pitt and find out anymore details?
I'm sure Steve said there were 2 profiles available, one being quite aggressive and being more suited to full on race spec engines?

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 07:26:41 am »
Even if anyone could manage to get hold of Steve, he won't tell you the specs of the cam. I quite reasonably wanted to know what I was buying when I got mine, but he wouldn't say!

Newman told me it was their normal 268° symmetrical cam for N/A engines, but I think that's bollocks.

You'll find on a K03 turbo setup that a GT cam makes the car driveable compared to a G40 cam, but even then it'll feel choked at higher rpm (around 5k from memory). The turbo will spool at 1500rpm with a GT cam too, which makes it kind of frantic to drive - good fun if that's what you want.

Offline G4O LP

• Members
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 11:26:30 am »
Looks like ill be forking out £250 for a shrick cam from G-werks then :<

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2008, 02:11:54 pm »
ill try an get hold of him,
so if someone rang up newman they wouldnt tell them the score with the cam?
you would think they would wanna sell some still???

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2008, 02:32:11 pm »
you'd probably at least have to tell them some sort of serial number or part code off one of these PSD turbo cams for them to be able to identify it.  Just saying "it's a psd cam for a turbo" isn't likely to get anywhere, I doubt they'll just remember what it is.

But it'd be great if someone who has one could tell us any numbers off it?  Maybe I'll go and take yoof's out of his engine while he's asleep?

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2008, 02:53:32 pm »
ha ha yea they prob make a few cams eh lol,
yea you do that an give them a ring with the numbers,
has nobody got one then to measure up or get numbers from?

im going to need one in the next few month
an id at least like to know the numbers incase one comes up for sale
so i know am not buying a 1341 cam or summat.

Offline G4O LP

• Members
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 04:20:03 pm »
i know the shrick item im looking at for mine is 268/264

I just had a look at newmans website they dont do a great deal of VW cams.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 04:31:06 pm by G4O LP »

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 08:52:37 pm »
As I said previously:
"Newman told me it was their normal 268° symmetrical cam for N/A engines, but I think that's bollocks."

I told them I had a PSD turbo cam and wanted to know the spec. I might try again with the serial number from the cam. It's cold and wet outside at the moment though, so I'm not getting the number off it now!

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 09:13:17 pm »
Yeah that'd be good if you could find out Andy.
Failing that, Lance can you try and get hold of Steve? I can't see why he wouldn't be willing to give us the part number seeing as he's not selling them anymore?.
TBH, it all seems a bit stupid all this secrecy lark, not divulging information that would help other enthusiasts. I can however understand Newman/Steve Pitt keeping the exact measurements to themselves, buy why is it so hard to get a flipping part number? >:(
I'd personally far rather use a Newman cam that Steve Pitt/Newman specifically designed for the K03 turbo'd 1341 engine. The Shrick ones are a lot more money and who's to say that they are ideal for our K03 setups?  

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 11:13:47 pm »
When I put together my K03 1341cc it was the first one, I took it down to Steve for mapping at the same time as John Marchant's old Mk1 K03 1272cc was there. Steve'd had a couple of 'turbo' cams made up, having tried a 3F cam over a PY one on my recommendation but still finding it lacking.

As far as I know John got one cam, and I got the other. Whether the other 'turbo' cams Steve had made are the same spec I don't know.

I asked Steve the spec at the time, and on multiple occasions since. I believe the lift's around 10.5mm but that's all he'd say. It pissed me off really, as if I'd wanted to copy it I'd only need to send the cam to another manufacturer and it'd be job done. I wanted to know so I could try a few different cam profiles, as although it worked I wanted to experiment further.

Note that ze Germans seem to use a Schrick cam, which depending on the Newman specs, I was going to give a try.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2008, 08:31:50 am »
I can get hold of Schrick cams for about £215 delivered if there's more than 5 people wanting them (a few on Club polo want them at this moment in time).

I can also get the part numbers off my Newman cam and give them a ring about it.

I'd be very very very wary of giving Steve Pitt any money at all guys. (Read Eekie's thread on Club Polo)