Author Topic: G40 Turbo list  (Read 34904 times)

Offline dubpolishers

• Members
G40 Turbo list
« on: October 23, 2008, 08:22:47 am »
Can people list the exact parts and pref model numbers that are needed for a turbo conversion..

superchargers gonna pop so gonna go the turbo route... as it seams more durable and reliable than spending more money on another lader for it to go pop further down the line... 

My G40 is in a polo gti... so dont know if it will be different to normal conversion..
all advice and help would be much appreciated

Regards

J

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: G40 Turbo list
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 09:33:42 am »
ah a polo gti - cool. I'm sure someone will comment on what turbos to use.

What I would say is g-laders aren't that unreliable! give them love and they respect you. Like a woman!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 09:58:34 am »
the basics you'll need are:

- kkk k03 turbo from a 1.8 20vT passat
- rothe motorsport k03 manfold (or a copy from german ebay)
- rothe turbo downpipe for k03 (or a copy from german ebay)
- g40 exhaust manifold gasket, k03 to manifold gasket, k03 to downpipe gasket (all stock VAG parts).
- forge motorsport uprated actuator for VAG 1.8 20vT (standard one is designed to work with an N75 valve which a G40 doesn't have).
- oil feed and drain pipes
- oil drain boss welded onto sump pan
- dump valve of some sort (stock vag recirc is the best type for these turbos)
- front mount intercooler & pipe work to suit (depends what you can fit on the car)
- the turbo is water cooled so you need to tee into the water pipes for the supply and drain from the turbo.  So you need some bits of pipe, some t-pieces and some fittings for the turbo.  You'll have to just figure this out when you got he turbo on the car and can see which water pipes are nearby to do this.
- ...probably a hundred and one little things I've forgotten about....

Then on top of that you really need to get a turbo-specific ecu remap, ideally a custom one with rolling road time.  Depending on how much boost you plan on running you may need a different MAP sensor which will require a custom ecu map to suit. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 10:00:44 am by hayesey »

Offline dubpolishers

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 10:24:35 am »
ah a polo gti - cool. I'm sure someone will comment on what turbos to use.

What I would say is g-laders aren't that unreliable! give them love and they respect you. Like a woman!

yeah its in a polo gti which is stripped of all its modern comforts... like climate/power steering/ abs..

its basically a new shell with all the old g40 stuff in it.. pretty different and cool i do love it... its caged up with buckets...

Offline dubpolishers

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 10:25:11 am »
the basics you'll need are:

- kkk k03 turbo from a 1.8 20vT passat
- rothe motorsport k03 manfold (or a copy from german ebay)
- rothe turbo downpipe for k03 (or a copy from german ebay)
- g40 exhaust manifold gasket, k03 to manifold gasket, k03 to downpipe gasket (all stock VAG parts).
- forge motorsport uprated actuator for VAG 1.8 20vT (standard one is designed to work with an N75 valve which a G40 doesn't have).
- oil feed and drain pipes
- oil drain boss welded onto sump pan
- dump valve of some sort (stock vag recirc is the best type for these turbos)
- front mount intercooler & pipe work to suit (depends what you can fit on the car)
- the turbo is water cooled so you need to tee into the water pipes for the supply and drain from the turbo.  So you need some bits of pipe, some t-pieces and some fittings for the turbo.  You'll have to just figure this out when you got he turbo on the car and can see which water pipes are nearby to do this.
- ...probably a hundred and one little things I've forgotten about....

Then on top of that you really need to get a turbo-specific ecu remap, ideally a custom one with rolling road time.  Depending on how much boost you plan on running you may need a different MAP sensor which will require a custom ecu map to suit. 

good stuff..any part numbers?? sorry to be a pain mate... as if i dont replace me charger gonna start slowly building up the parts over winter...

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 10:56:46 am »
I'm not really sure what you mean by part numbers, VW part numbers for the stock VAG bits maybe?  I don't have them but just ask them for the parts by name.

Offline dubpolishers

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 11:22:04 am »
I'm not really sure what you mean by part numbers, VW part numbers for the stock VAG bits maybe?  I don't have them but just ask them for the parts by name.

yah thats what i emant sorry iw asnt more clear will do.. still deciding if i wanna get another charger or turbo it.. bit indecisive at the mo...

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 11:57:13 am »
do you even know for definite that your current charger is beyond repair yet?

You're unlikely to be able to do this turbo conversion for less than £600 I reckon.  Unless you manage to find someone selling most of the parts for a very cheap price.

Offline dubpolishers

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 12:08:57 pm »
do you even know for definite that your current charger is beyond repair yet?

You're unlikely to be able to do this turbo conversion for less than £600 I reckon.  Unless you manage to find someone selling most of the parts for a very cheap price.

um no i dont kno for definate mate but the way i was looking at wa sthat if i have to spend around 600 more than may aswell b patient and do a turbo conversion and try and do it for around a grand or so... but than that means the car being out of ocmmisons for pretty much winter which isnt a bad thing but its disheartening knowing it doesnt work...

Offline Raw

• Members
  • It ain't dubbin 'less her thighs are rubbin'
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 03:53:38 pm »
Heysey forgot to mention the cam. A stock GT one is better than a stock G40 one, but a turbo specific one would be worth buying, I think a couple of cam manufacturers (e.g. Newman, Schric) do them.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 04:19:22 pm »
not sure I agree with the GT cam, I think a stock g40 one will be better.  gt = too much overlap.  Obv a turbo specific one would be ideal.  I'm hoping someone who bought a PSD "turbo" cam will get it measured up at some point.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 05:24:09 pm »
Nah, with a K03 a GT cam is miles and miles better than a stock G40 item, tried and tested.

The PSD turbo cam is better still, but I keep meaning to measure mine up and have a think about whether it could be improved upon.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 05:25:47 pm »
hmm interesting, was told pretty much the exact opposite by someone else (yoof I thought...)

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 12:22:21 pm »
Were you both pissed at the time? ;D

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 12:43:44 pm »
lol, nah.  I was talking to him about it on msn a while ago as I was under the impression before then that I'd be better off putting a gt cam in but I thought he was saying the g40 one is still more suitable to use with turbo. 

I guess I'll get a gt cam and see how it goes then!