Author Topic: Brakes and Handling  (Read 1702 times)

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
Brakes and Handling
« on: October 08, 2011, 10:59:29 pm »
Probs a few questions that have been asked a few thousand times before.

I have just finished my conversion into my MK3 Bread'y. I have upgraded the front brakes to g40 disks and calipers but they still feel a bit sluggish to respond, i have bled the brakes about 3 times and there is definably no air left in the system, and i have also checked the one way valve on the cylinder and its still working fine. Is there any thing else i cand do to improve them.

The other issue is the handling, I have a subframe ready to go on but i keep forgetting to post something back to pete. I still have the standard bread'y suspension fitted  :o and also the standard wheels.

Obviously i want to keep it as sleeper looking as possible so i dont want to go much lower to keep the stealth look going.

I just wondered what was out there on a budget to stiffen it all up a bit and regain some control of the old girl in the corners as at the moment it rather shocking.

Ive already had a few kills though so im loving the G power.

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
Re: Brakes and Handling
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 01:37:12 pm »
I have a full set of rear disks and calipers.

But i obviously need a brake bias valve fitting, can any one reccomend one. I dont have a G40 rear beam so the standard setup that the G40's use is no good for me unless i buy a beam.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Brakes and Handling
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 03:35:19 pm »
as for the brakes, the only difference to them and the ones you have replaced is that the g40 discs are vented.  All that means is the brakes will be less prone to fading.  It wont make any difference to the feel or normal use.

Having said that, things like replacing the fluid with new stuff, rebuilding the rear drums (replacing any parts that are worn) and fitting steel braided hoses will all help.

Koni yellow shocks and Eibach -35mm springs were always the suspension setup to go for if you want a basically standard look with improved road handling.  Not especially cheap but will perform miles better than the cheap ebay stuff that's about.