Author Topic: GT/G40 back Axle  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
GT/G40 back Axle
« on: June 29, 2012, 11:03:29 am »
I see some people have had G40 back Axles powder coated.

Does this slighlty or otherwise damage the Rubber triangular block half way along the (torsion) anti roll bar.

Mines at the coaters for Satin Black but i said it should be ok at 180-200c as i thought once seeing engine mounts being moulded that
the temp was somewhat higher than that.

Fred.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
Re: GT/G40 back Axle
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 11:33:51 am »
Should be OK Fred. Rubber Vulcanisers for patch repairs on C.V. inner tubes run at about 350 * centigrade for several hours to get a bond.

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 12:00:57 pm »
Thanks John.  ;D

When i was at secondary school a mates dad worked moulding engine mounts and given that they used to chuck in all sorts
of shapes of rubber into the mould and it all melted together i thought that had to be some way above 180c

These days another mate works at Pendle Polymers near me and they mould a lot rubber bellows and other stuff
and buy their rubber in various sized beads.

He got me a small steering rack bellow which i hit with the hot air paint stripping gun and modified it for my Lathe
feed lever.
It took some heating even with the gun to re- mould its shape at the base.

So i `m not gonna worry. ;D

Offline mark_crox

• Members
  • www.mk2polo.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 03:08:15 pm »
They do actually come off if you are worried, well mind did. There is a slit at the front allowing them to be removed and replaced.

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 02:50:22 am »
I`ll go check that out.

Funny thing is i had a tweak about with it but didn`t notice a slit in it and it seemed well in place.

Thanks.