Author Topic: The G40 - what to do when you get it home.  (Read 1365 times)

Offline fagan

• Members
The G40 - what to do when you get it home.
« on: October 04, 2011, 02:01:38 pm »

Hello everyone,

I have just purchased a G40 from the forum, the black one with no charger service. I have to say its the coolest car, quickest car I have owned.

I'm into standard cars and this doesn't have alot of mods especially on the engine and charger. My previous car is a MK1 Golf 1300, that I still have and a few MK2 GTI's. The polo is much more fun I have to say.

Anyhow, what should I do service wise? its 106000 miles now.

I am thinking -     Charger rebuild - jabba? (should I change the oil and oil feed, belts etc?)
                         Does the intercooler need attention at any point?

The digital clock goes off and on every few minutes when driving, would this be a shot battery?

And the usual engine service I would do.

The charger has twin belts is this standard?

I am also looking for a few bits and pieces -

Sun roof mechanism
Orange indicators (side and front)
Parcel shelf
Full roof lining
Is there G40 mats available anywhere
BBS centre caps
Also front seat runner kit

Pics to come soon, cheers

Offline G40supercharged

• Members
Re: The G40 - what to do when you get it home.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 05:54:14 pm »
Welcome!

Charger rebuild is a good idea. Standard charger belts are twin V belts. Change them if they look tired - they are not a standard fan belt width (11mm I think) but you can get the correct ones from this forum. The stock pulley (75mm) is a heavy steel thing with VW part number cast in it so it should be obvious if that's whats on it. Small pulley is more entertaining but will increase stress on charger. Charger shares engine oil. I wouldn't bother changing the oil feed lines unless they look knackered.

Intercooler just wants a flush out to get rid of any oil build up in the bottom, and make sure the fins aren't covered in dead flies etc. There should be a gauze filter in the bottom (I think) hose connection (like a tea strainer) that is designed to stop stray bits of charger going in the engine when it blows up. 

Clock will go off if the power is a bit dodgy - if it does it when cranking the engine then its probably the battery or a bad earth, otherwise it might be a bad connection in the instrument cluster. If that turns out to be the case you can refit your G40 speedo etc. into a cluster from a standard MK3 Polo. Cluster just pulls out with stereo removal tools (with steering wheel off). Try giving it a gentle push to make sure its plugged in properly.

The orange side repeaters are the same as MK2 Golf ones. Your car at J reg should have orange front indicators (as standard Polo) and standard Polo rear lights, but 1992 on G40 had clear fronts and tinted rears (lots didn't as they were unsold 1991 model year). Parcel shelf must be from a coupe - breadvan is different size. Roof lining is G40 and GT coupe specific as it's black - I think you will struggle to find a good one. BBS centre caps in good condition are hard to come by. If you have the plastic bits you can get replica stickers to go on them (they are the same as MK2 Golf 16V ones).