Author Topic: Strange whistle from charger...  (Read 2470 times)

Offline AdzCM

• Members
Strange whistle from charger...
« on: September 01, 2011, 06:47:24 pm »
Just after spraying ptfe grease into the charger for the first time and now when I start the car and give it a wee rev, you can hear a kinda of whistle that goes up and down with the revs... [a whistle like you were blowing wind through your teeth]

What could this be??

Standard pulley and charger. the belts seem fine.. the blanking plate is well sealed.. only came about after I sprayed ptfe spray and took it a drive.

Im not sure when this charger was last serviced, but with the boost return mod done, there seems to be a tiny bit of oil in the throttle body [where the boost return pipe would have been].

Want to run this charger untill november. Ill put my new charger in nxt year..

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
Re: Strange whistle from charger...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 11:59:33 pm »
could just be the charger noise, but you can check for boost leaks by disconnecting the boost return valve linkage, holding the boost valve shut for 1-2 seconds at a time, the system will pressurise and you can pinpoint specific leaks.

did you seal the blanking plate with gasket sealant stuff?

also get the new charger on and get the old one apart, its not hard to change seals and bearings, and you can sleep easy, knowing you havent got a potential time bomb.

if you are going to run without rebuild, then just ensure there is a guaze between the charger -> intercooler pipe and the intercooler, this will catch the chargers innards if it shits itself!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 09:28:59 am »
how much oil is a tiny bit?  You will get a coating of oil inside boost pipes and stuff that's normal.  Yes you have the boost return removed but the car will have been ran for 15+ years with it on so there'll still be oil in there. But it depends how much you mean by a tiny bit.

How much ptfe did you spray in?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 04:28:00 pm »
You sure its not just the air blowing through the throttle body? Now you have the mod done you will hear this whistle all the time. I get a whistle blowing sound and its not the charger.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 05:59:35 pm »
The noise has now dissapeared :s - it wasnt a quiet sound either, it was loud enough to worry me but it hasnt made a sound this past 2 days...

Hayesey, there is very little oil so I reckon you are right tht its just the oil that was already in the charger. And I only put in 2 seconds worth of short bursts so couldnt be that it was too much ptfe.

grungeisdead, cheers mate, ill know in future an easy way to look for a boost leak. i did use gasket stuff with the blanking plate, it definately wasnt that. n ill not be doing many more miles for the rest of this year anyway so ill get the new charger on nxt year.

Cheers for that, hope the noise doesnt come back.