Author Topic: Mk3 "droop".  (Read 2074 times)

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
Mk3 "droop".
« on: August 25, 2011, 09:57:04 pm »
A lot of people comment on the obvious front nearside droop and it's causes. Dialing it out by investing in coilovers is the popular way to square things up. I'm not really keen on spending on coilovers ATM, but what about the following:-
Rear shocks have ride height adjustment in 10mm increments, so what happens if I drop the rear offside to try and lift the front end. It should work OK, but would it have any great effect on the handling. Anyone got any thoughts on this.
                                                                      John.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
Re: Mk3 "droop".
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 10:42:45 am »
Got my own answer to the question. Dropped the rear nearside by 20mm although it didn't translate to that when on the ground. The car now has a much more even stance all round with front offside up by 10mm, front nearside down a few mm, rear nearside only went down 10mm  and rear offside more or less as was.
A noticable improvement in general feel on the road though although i haven't taken it to the favourite wiggly bit yet. It leaves me asking how important weight distribution is and what's reasonably attainable. Shifting Battery, washer reservoir etc. Who'se had a go at any of this.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 11:20:15 am »
We're already at a loss I believe as RHD has the majority of the engine mass on the same side as the driver. I wonder what the standard corner weights are for a LHD and RHD with and without driver in the appropriate seat?

Anyone know? Yoof or someone else that competes perhaps?

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 02:38:00 pm »
This is very intresting as I used to have the classic mk3 droop on the  nearside front. I as most do corrected (hid the problem!) by winding the coilovers down on the other side, I recently fitted now coilovers on the back and they are much much higher than the old ones and I have them wound all the way up, now I have a sever droop on the drivers side with the front coilovers wound up all the way aswell I'm almost having clearance issues with the wheels due to this new
Problem.
 May e this can be corrected by winding down the rears to try and compensate.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 09:14:04 pm »
Contributry factors:

1) Additional weight on drivers side (Driver)
2) Weight on drivers side and not on passenger:

G-lader
Block/Head weight > gearbox weight
Alternator
Battery
Fuel tank/ fuel pumps

These are the main points, there's obviously several things that run down the passenger side that aren't on the drivers (e.g exhaust) but last time I had my GT on the corner weights it was 60kg differance side to side (no driver).

Bear in mind that's without a G-Lader/Intercooler hanging on the drivers side too, say that combination adds 15kg the total swing would be 75kg swing towards the driver's side, without the driver in.

Now say your average fatty is 75kg-85kg, you've generally got 150kg more on the driver's side than the passenger. Hence it sitting lower on this side.

When you start digging into the chassis dynamics and static measurements on a Polo, it's quite surprising how bent they are!