Author Topic: 0-60 time, quarter mile for standard car?  (Read 26366 times)

Offline martinjc1981

• Members
0-60 time, quarter mile for standard car?
« on: August 09, 2011, 04:43:35 pm »
Hi,

Im considering buying a polo g40 in the near future as a weekend toy.
How fast are they? Read the reviews and 0-60 time seems a bit slow at just over 8 seconds?
Anyone timed this on a race logic box etc for a standard car and what kind of quarter mile will they run as standard?

Thanks, Martin

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
Re: 0-60 time, quarter mile for standard car?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 05:58:15 pm »
I think that they don't quite get to 60 in second gear officially, so there is two gear changes in that time. 0-80mph is a much bigger compliment to a G40.

Offline martinjc1981

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 06:13:20 pm »
So how would they compare to the modern say 200bhp "hot hatchbacks"??
The 8 seconds to 60mph is fair enough then?

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 06:28:32 pm »
One thats slightly modified is a good match for new hot hatches on a traffic light drag, but around corners they are no match to modern cars really - though there is a fun factor in them that you just don't really get anywhere else. The small supercharged engine really "turns on" when you put your foot down. Putting more money into them will make them a much better match for new hot hatches but as i said, its the fun factor and simplicity we love here.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 06:31:07 pm »
0-60 isn't really where the g40 shines unless you've got a Quaife diff and launch control, but the 50-100 bracket's much more fun. That's where the G excels.

Offline martinjc1981

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 06:43:58 pm »
Just torn between the g40 and a uk spec dc2 integra. Say if the polo had a few mods to around 140bhp would it be faster than the integra?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 06:45:57 pm by martinjc1981 »

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 07:05:40 pm »
TBH Martin, 0-60 and 1/4 mile times aren't any reason to by a G40 or any other car. Performance figures are largely irrelevant, you either want a G40 or you don't.
They are based on a design from the late 60's so things like safety levels are really dire. The interior is sparcely equipped and the handling and brakes are pretty poor.
Outright, overall performance is never gonna be a match for a modern equivilent. They are however FUN. They feel much faster than they actually are, in fact in gear performance is very good even by today's standards. Most are modified to some extent by now and a nicely modded one can be very quick indeed.
It really all depends on what you want from a car. The G40 is a basic, simple, fun car that has a bootful of grunt. Enjoy!

Offline martinjc1981

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 07:18:50 pm »
TBH Martin, 0-60 and 1/4 mile times aren't any reason to by a G40 or any other car. Performance figures are largely irrelevant, you either want a G40 or you don't.
They are based on a design from the late 60's so things like safety levels are really dire. The interior is sparcely equipped and the handling and brakes are pretty poor.
Outright, overall performance is never gonna be a match for a modern equivilent. They are however FUN. They feel much faster than they actually are, in fact in gear performance is very good even by today's standards. Most are modified to some extent by now and a nicely modded one can be very quick indeed.
It really all depends on what you want from a car. The G40 is a basic, simple, fun car that has a bootful of grunt. Enjoy!

ok breadman. Quite an honest review. I just want something for the weekends thats fun and will put a smile on my face. I just used the quarter mile time as a rough guide to straight line speed.

Offline Peterpolo

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 08:40:11 pm »
Hi agree with scotsjohn and Martin, but you say you want it as a toy then you should play with it and modify it,
A standard g40 is not all that! Handling and performance, I would say you can modify a g40 up to 150-160bhp for relatively cheep!! And that wld go like stink with just lowering springs and shocks would improve the handling alot if you don't want the full kit and subframe?
You wld be saying good bye to the integra and won't go back,

But a g40 does require mantaince and is reliable considering age etc if it's looked after so you might as well spend a bit on it if your going to get one,

Anyway i wld also say it's very hard to find a completely standard g40 lol!

Offline martinjc1981

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 09:18:51 pm »
Hi agree with scotsjohn and Martin, but you say you want it as a toy then you should play with it and modify it,
A standard g40 is not all that! Handling and performance, I would say you can modify a g40 up to 150-160bhp for relatively cheep!! And that wld go like stink with just lowering springs and shocks would improve the handling alot if you don't want the full kit and subframe?
You wld be saying good bye to the integra and won't go back,

But a g40 does require mantaince and is reliable considering age etc if it's looked after so you might as well spend a bit on it if your going to get one,

Anyway i wld also say it's very hard to find a completely standard g40 lol!

so a g40 with say 150bhp would leave a 200bhp integra for dust?? Sounds impressive.
I like a car that handles well tho.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 09:24:38 pm »
Its handling is bad, but when you are behind the wheel its great - it has a nice comforting understeer to let you know you are getting to the limit. but when you are bouncing off the bumps and pushing it to the limit it doesn't matter that its not 'fast' round a corner, because its fun round the corner!

the limit is fun, not speed - you learn this at the Nurburgring

Offline martinjc1981

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 09:29:20 pm »
hw reliable do they tend to be? Im 30 now and just looking for something for the odd blast at the weekend. Always liked the g40 polo. 150 bhp sounds good if it will be leaving all modern hatches off the lights.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 09:31:02 pm »
some are, some aren't. there are some horror stories but it depends on how their life has been. Mine has 198k on the clock now, no internal rebuilds yet.

Offline martinjc1981

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 09:32:59 pm »
some are, some aren't. there are some horror stories but it depends on how their life has been. Mine has 198k on the clock now, no internal rebuilds yet.

thats impressive, what bhp is yours?

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 09:40:31 pm »

thats impressive, what bhp is yours?
140-150bhp maybe, not been on the rollers.
the mods are:
De-Restricted air box (there is a restricter in the air box limiting the air that can enter the charger, easy mod just sanded it out)
Jabba R1 charger porting (removes material that restricts the charger outlet to produce more boost, a bit of charger inlet porting too)
65 - 63mm Toothed pulleys (the twin V- belts slip at high revs so this just spins it faster throughout the rev range, standard is 75mm but its hard to calculate the toothed equivalent, mine are custom and somewhere between 65 and 63mm)
GT inlet manifold (manifold from the G40's little brother the polo GT; has larger inlet ports and gives a tad extra top end power (tiny amount of low end torque is lost though but unnoticeable because of the torquey supercharged engine)
51mm Throttle body (standard is 45mm, i make these myself - check the traders section - ported at the top, frees up the top end revs and makes the throttle more responsive, great off boost)

Sorry for the long post, if you don't know a huge deal about G40s it can be confusing when people just make a list of mods that generally have community names; thought it would be good to explain it.