Author Topic: using different pulleys now the charher has gone  (Read 3292 times)

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
using different pulleys now the charher has gone
« on: August 15, 2011, 11:53:09 am »
hey everyone,
need to put new pulleys on my motor now as the chargers gone, but what do i use? the spare v belt pulley i had dont fit as it fouls the timing mark bracket:-( do i snap this out of the way or is there a pulley i can use?

id like to use a multi V belt but does anyone know if there is a belt availible for doing so?

any help appreciated

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: using different pulleys now the charher has gone
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 12:41:40 pm »
most people use non g40 pulleys and lower timing belt cover/pointer. (and alternator)

If you did use a multi v, then most motor factors could supply if you know length.  However the bottom multibelt pulley? whats it off.. some of the golf ones are sooooo heavy, i'd want to ditch it for something lighter if you could.

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 12:53:31 pm »
oh yay- sounds like a right laff for me tonight. in smoothing my bay i removed all the essential grooves in the chassis legs which allow you to remove things.
luckily i do have a pointer and a spare g40 lower cover.

il have a look round my local vw breakers and see if there are any pulleys i could use instead of the heavy mk4 golf ones.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 01:04:33 pm »
First time around I was pikey, and used a G40 alternator on a CL engine mount - which requires a bit of spacing here and there to fit. Then I used G40 twin v-belts, using the inner race on one pulley, and the outer on the other. Timing pointer needed minimal bendage.

In the end I did it properly, and removed the metal timing pointer, and fitted a CL alternator; pulleys and lower timing belt cover. Yoof and Hayesey have retained the metal timing pointer though, and just bent it up out the way.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 01:18:31 pm »
yep I just bent mine so it is higher up and then re-made timing marks on the bottom pulley

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 03:09:50 pm »
yer i might have a look at bending it up. il etch the timing marks onto the pulley aswell. and here was me thinking this would be an easy job lol.

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 12:13:11 am »
well i found some multiV belt pulleys. the ABD engine uses them:-) belt is going to be the hard bit. put lower spec items on for the moment and when im building the 1W i will sort out the belt required for using those instead