Author Topic: 2087 Miles, 7 Days and a long time in the G!  (Read 9401 times)

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
2087 Miles, 7 Days and a long time in the G!
« on: July 20, 2011, 09:33:45 am »
Hey guys, as a daily G driver I'm always adding miles to the G but this week was a long one.

Plan: Go and enjoy the swiss countryside for a week with the Mrs.

First day was a long one, starting at three in the morning and ending at 8 at night; 800 miles in one day from home to switzerland; G did very well, 38mpg on one tank and 42mpg on the next (had to thrash the first tank to get to dover in time) only had to top the oil up on the drive as it had 5-30w in it and it should have 10-40w. It was great fun on the autobahns but I generally kept to 75-80ish for fuel usage, had one thrash with a Mk3 GTi and pulled away from her up to 120mph.

Next day was good weather and got to enjoy some swiss countryside:

After that though the shit started to happen. Rain, and lots of it! I decided to use a rainy day to do some swiss mountain passes. So I went and enjoyed the Susten - Furka and the Grimsel passes:

I mean a lot of rain!:

G was great on them but I still had a load of camping shit in her so she was sluggish up the shorter straights. Supercharged engine is great out of hairpins (NOTE: My girlfriend did not enjoy this.) Then the sun came out as we enjoyed dinner:

As we had the shittest tent in the world that didnt ventilate any of the air inside; the next night was a choice of open the door and get wet in the rain, or stay dry and die of oxygen starvation. so we moved to the car to sleep (G saved us!)

This was followed by another good day of weather, some good views, a little bit of mountain climbing one bad night in a hostel and some bike riding (yes, we fittest 2 bikes and all of our stuff in the back):

Drove past hockenheim and some comedy milage (the G is on 20k more than that due to changed clocks though):

The drive home was spread over two days, me and the mrs slept in the car the first + second night on the way home and had over 48 hours in the G (we had to sleep in her cause the tent was seriously, the shittest tent in the world. dont buy asda £20 tents and expect them to function as anything but a pile of shit)

Stopped at a 'nice village' in germany for the last night:

Track was closed though due to a private track day and i 'wasn't allowed' to wait until 5:30PM to get on it as a member of the public.

Overall clocked up 2087 miles in the week and averaged 40mpg throughout!
The tanks where:
1: 384 Miles
2: 425 Miles
3: 437 Miles
4: 418 Miles
5: 383 Miles (and 40 miles home after that)

Things that broke:
key for fuel tank snapped in the lock on the last tank, but if i pushed hard enough it would still open with half the key broken off in the lock and the other jammed in it.

AND thats it. G saved us several nights; performed well throughout and gave us many many fun times.

(sorry for a long thread)

THANK YOU G40!

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
Re: 2087 Miles, 7 Days and a long time in the G!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 12:23:33 pm »
awesome man! we did a 2500 mile trip in a mk1 golf cabby to croatia last year and off to romania on saturday!

G's are super economical when driving sensibly!

have you got a full photo album uploaded anywhere? I'd love to see more of the swiss countryside, it was some of the most stunning scenery we saw on our trip last year!

Offline DMWG40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 03:18:06 pm »
I like to read your Road trips there good to see a G40 being used that way.
yes that tent is small especially as when parked next to the G.

for your next one you might want to check out ebay and try and pickup a second hand one but with better quality and size.

in one of the pictures of your car. you hatch looks very black, almost matt 5th picture. I like the g40 badge on the back with just the g40 never seen anyone do that before.
so what spec is your car standard to get that sort of mileage ?

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 04:11:43 pm »
Cool pictures, shame about the weather. It is good to see a G being used properly!

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 05:43:23 pm »
If the rear hatch looks matte its because I've had an oil leak since i owned it that only got fixed when i had the charger pulley off and saw that the oil pump only had 2 bolts in it and not 5 keeping it on, so the paint needs a real good polish in places now. Only having the G badge confuses a lot of people, its always called 'the black golf'
Specs are:
2x crank speed custom toothed pulley setup (somewhere between a 65 and a 63mm V-belt set)
R1 Charger
51mm throttle body
GT inlet manifold
De-restricted airbox
I've tried to keep the mods tasteful to retain its usability, used to have an induction kit so the airbox added some mpg i think, 51mm throttle body is amazing for motorway cruising too, next up would be an exhaust manifold to derestrict the engine but staying away from cam's ect was a wise choice for me.
I'll put some more of the better photos of the scenery if people want to see them.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 06:09:10 pm »
I think you G40 justin has done the most travelling. Much more to do of Europe? lol.

You put that new timing belt on?

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 04:06:08 pm »
I think you G40 justin has done the most travelling. Much more to do of Europe? lol.

You put that new timing belt on?
Still got loads of europe to do but I'm not sure how much more long distance I can do on my own; 800 miles in a day was so so tough.
Timing belt went on mate, thanks very much.
Here are some more photos if anyone is interested:
http://s797.photobucket.com/albums/yy258/Justin14100/Swiss/

Offline woody02

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 04:15:13 pm »
Great read! Who needs a tdi estate  ;D

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 07:15:37 pm »
thats awesome, what a way to use the g (the shots of the bikes by the car made me laugh). yeah 800 miles in one day is one hell of alot. i did 700 a few weeks back driving home from Hamberg and that was in a 2011 vauxhall zafira, i cant imagine a G would be any better lol... Maybe someone in the marketing team @ VW would like to hear about your road trips haha!?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 10:09:16 pm »
Good read!

I've been thinking about doing this next summer, when I've got some holidays to take. Fancy going on a long drive! Not sure Caroline will be so enthusiastic though, especially if it's hot.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 10:35:24 pm »
i would be up for something like that.

Offline fil_rite13

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 09:18:54 pm »
Awsome pictures and a good read, thanks for sharing  :)

Offline cheddarcheese

• Members
  • i like boobs!
    • supercharged
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 03:31:53 pm »
Stunning locations love it!

Offline eppo

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 12:00:27 am »
nice trip, and stunning places, maybe one day i go to UK with my G,and meet you people  :)

Offline Dan-G40

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 08:08:38 pm »
Brilliant pictures!  :)