Author Topic: 65mm pulley effects  (Read 6142 times)

Offline mrtom22

• Members
65mm pulley effects
« on: July 13, 2011, 09:12:27 am »
Morning lads!
Ive used the search bar to see if there was a question relating to this subject and couldnt find one, the question is can I run a 65mm pulley on a completely standard engine without blowing it to pieces? Also is a chip necessary? And what kind of power increase can i expect?
Cheers

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: 65mm pulley effects
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 09:35:12 am »
you can run one with no other modifications but you wont get the full benefit of it without a remapped chip to suit.  Power depends on the condition of the engine really but maybe about 130bhp?

Offline mrtom22

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 10:48:23 am »
So would you recommend the jabba chip and pulley kit? Also will it have a noticeable whine?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 12:07:01 pm »
it'd be cheaper to get hold of a pulley and then get a chip from PPP on here.  not really sure it'll change the noise much

Offline mrtom22

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 12:48:16 pm »
Awesome! Didnt think it would! are toothies considerably louder?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 01:11:32 pm »
yes

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 01:20:26 pm »
I had a std car and put a 65mm pulley on, made it growl a lot louder and sounded awesome when tensioned correctly. My V-belts were tired though so would stretch a bit and go quiet after a few days. The power delivery is a lot sharper and makes the car pick up a LOT quicker. however bear in mind it's stressing the charger more as it's spinning faster than it would do before at any given engine RPM, so if you haven't had your charger serviced then it's worth considering. I was lucky really, 19 years and 80k miles of an old man and a gentle female driver (from what I can make out- I think she prefers RWD turbo Jap cars) meant my original charger is still going strong (now 84k) but it'll be serviced before I use it again.

I fitted a full blend charger with toothed belt kit (65mm pulley). The noise is a bit odd at first, it just sounds like a REALLY tight cambelt (this is effectively all it is), The advantage is no belt slip, the V-belts used to slip from ~4.5k rpm but it's whether you want to pay £200+ for it or just want to try new v-belts and some sticky belt spray (about £5). I'd say I preferred the growl of the original set-up but it's annoying having belt slip, especially if you're expecting it to be on full chat halfway through an overtake and suddenly the belts slip, it's like lifting off the accelerator. I've noticed I make 1.1bar @6k rpm now, with the V-belts on this charger I think it peaked at 0.9bar, but it needed a seal replaced.

I've forgot the pressure difference between std and 65mm pulley but I've got it written down somewhere.

I've got a 65mm v-belt pulley if you're after one ;)

Offline mrtom22

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 06:27:17 pm »
Thanks for info dude! I very very rarely go up to 4.5 k :) but thats good to know, i think in the long term ill go toothed, i dont think i can justify it :) i think ill do what you said and go for new belts and spray, about the pulley ;) ive been offered a chip and pulley which is why i was asking but if that doesnt happen ill give you a shout! Thanks alot guys! I appreciate the info alot!

Offline grayg40

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 10:19:16 pm »
you wont really benefit from puting in a chip and 65mm pully if you dont use that much of the rev's, might just use a little more jucie.
But you will use a lot more jucie when you do floor it. and you wont get the  ;D ;D ;D ;D off your face.
(correct me if am wrong)

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 10:37:42 am »
I wouldn't bother with either if you don't go above 4.5k, you haven't even reached max. power until about 5800ish? You'll probably find you just wheelspin more with a 65mm pulley. Seems pointless to work the charger harder if you aren't even using it to it's potential at the mo ;)

Offline mrtom22

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 11:30:02 am »
Fair shout, I was led to believe that they increase power across the whole rev range?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 11:36:21 am »
they do... but power at low revs = wheelspin so you dont put your foot down as much!

Offline mrtom22

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 12:13:17 pm »
Very true! I guess ill just have to start using it to its full potential then! I was going to do a couple of trackdays with it anyway, i try not to boot it on the road much.