Author Topic: Putting G40 back to Standardish  (Read 1732 times)

Offline DMWG40

• Members
Putting G40 back to Standardish
« on: June 29, 2011, 02:44:31 pm »
Hi guys

been thinking of putting  a few things back to standard on my g40 and was needing some input. as its been a very long time since all the mods where done to the car.

so I am thinking of putting the airbox back on and all the standard connections to the charger and throttle body.

I just cant remember where some of the connections go from the throttle body.
where do the other two ends of that pipe go, one to throttle body one or rocker cover
any pictures that can help will greatly appreciate
I have attached a picture of a standard g40 to show the part i am not sure where all the connections go
if i put the airbox back in do i need to reconnect the charcoal cannister as well?

currently I have
PSD tooth belts
PSD throttle Body dewedge and ported
one charger inlet blocked off
One charger inlet to filter
oil cooler
breather pipe mod i think, with mocal catch tank.  
these are not all my mods just ones in that area

if i put back the airbox and the throttle pipes I will have to remove the breather mod correct,

so apart from the lose of bhp can anyone see a issue with me doing this in the running of the vehicle
will try and get a picture of my engine tomorrow

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 02:50:37 pm by DMWG40 »

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
Re: Putting G40 back to Standardish
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 07:43:09 pm »
You can still run with the std airbox with a catch tank without the gubbins for the charcoal canister. You'll can fit the std return hose and blank the 1" take off, feed the take off back into the airbox somehow, or fit a silicone bend without the take off. You will still have to lubricate the charger manually.
If you want to lose the catch tank then you will need to refit the breather valve (clips on the breather pod and connects to the 1" take off on the boost return hose from the throttle body) so the oil mist lubricates the charger, I believe you can still leave the 'flying saucer' and charcoal canister off with this set up.
Or you refit everyhting, I'm afraid I can't advise you on the hose arrangement if you do, it's been a while since my car was in one piece.

Offline DMWG40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 05:50:07 pm »
ok where does this go ?
it seems to go down wards

where does the flying sauce attach to what pipe and what does it do exactly.

here is the pipe off the car

« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 05:52:29 pm by DMWG40 »

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 08:59:59 pm »
Top pic is the breather valve, it clips onto the pipe from the breather dome on the back of the engine, below the inlet manifold. The hose for you catch tank will be fitted in it's place.
Flying saucer is the purge valve for the fuel vapour, not 100% on the pipework but I believe the bottom goes to the clear pipe from under the car, the other side goes to one of the connections on the charcaol canister (LHS I think, the RHS goes to the small black pipe from under the car, and yours looks broken as there should be a rubber elbow on the top and some small nylon hose that goes the the front of the throttle body.

Offline DMWG40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 09:46:06 pm »
cheers for help.

today i took the pipe off the breather on the back of the engine and attached the black flying sauce thing directly to that.

this direct to breather on back on engine

connected up all the other connections one to the flying sauce as well.
put the standard airbox back in and standard charger pipes.

i have not bothered with the charcoal cannister and do i need to worry about the connection form the top of the flying sauce.
where does that pipe go to?

here are some pictures

is this where the cable from the flying sauce goes to under the front of the throttle body if not

what should go there. as you can see i have a bit of pipe still in with a screw blanking it off
will it matter if i have gone back to running with the standard air box, is there anything else i should do ?

my last question
i noticed one more pipe last time i was working on car and forgot to ask what it is for.
but after i fitted the old pipe back to the breather,i went to trace the cable and it was lo longer attached i am guessing i dislodged it from somewhere around the back of the manifold but have no idea where its from any help

« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 09:53:28 pm by DMWG40 »

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 10:08:06 pm »
Looks like the top of your purge valve has snapped off. There is a plastic pipe (same type as ECU vac pipe) which goes from there to that blanked off hose on the front of the throttle body. IIRC Bottom braid hose off the purge valve goes onto the rubber hose underneath the inlet manifold on a t piece. That cotton braid piece you found is probably this section of pipe.

Offline DMWG40

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 11:52:59 am »
taxed the car today  yiphee only 6 months

just got to put the pipe that came off back on and  a few jubilee clips and change the lights back to amber indicators.

then hopefully get a run out on Sunday

Offline DMWG40

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 04:53:11 pm »
ok here is the car after all put back together.

I managed to get that cable back on but not all the way

« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 04:55:31 pm by DMWG40 »