Author Topic: Rev limiter chip stopped playing its part! help please  (Read 1512 times)

Offline G40-lex

• Members
Rev limiter chip stopped playing its part! help please
« on: July 09, 2011, 08:12:18 pm »
Hello chaps, i've recently bought a g40 which has been knocking around on here through 3 owners now and its an amazing little car.

however the owner before last had the rev limiter chip along with many other little bits to better the performance.

Recently the car went in to the garage to a quick change of gearbox and when i got it back and gave it a test i noticed that the rev limit has come back on to 7,000.

Unfortunately im not keyed up on the chip and what not, dont even know where or how its installed but the garage must have done something which has reset it back to normal or something, i cant ring them as they are closed for the weekend, not a urgent matter..

but can anyone shed some light on this matter?

is the chip a plug and play thing?

maybe something to do with removal of battery and its flashed the ecu, really not sure, so any help would be great.

cheers lads

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
Re: Rev limiter chip stopped playing its part! help please
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 02:39:08 am »
So is it revving higher or lower than before? Unplugging the ECU for a while shouldnt harm it (better not, mines been unplugged for a month!)

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 09:33:24 am »
The rev limiter is stored on the EPROM chip inside the ECU, it's only erasable through exposure to UV light and would require programming off-board from the ECU in an EPROM programmer - it's not possible to dick with it by unplugging the battery/ECU or by plugging a diagnostic tool in to the car so I expect it's not changed. 7000rpm isn't a stock rev limiter either.

What gearbox have they put on the car now? Just wondering if they've stuck something on with shorter ratios, so you're finding you're hitting the rev limiter more easily.

Offline grayg40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 10:17:45 am »
i would probably go with what andy said last about the gearbox having shorter ratio's

Offline G40-lex

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 01:06:04 pm »
very strange, almost 100% sure it was another atv gearbox.

no idea! bugger

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 02:05:09 am »
It was the atv out of my mk3 g40 as I replaced that with a ceg and kept the atv as a spare!

I know my box had atv stamped on it as id cleaned it up and showed you, did yours?

Bugger!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 09:09:33 am »
what speed does it come at certain rpm.  There's a spreadsheet with ratios, rpm and speeds on hanging around somewhere.

One guy on here - vikash i think - did have some repair work to his box, they stuck a wrong final drive in so the ratios were goosed.

Offline G40-lex

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 11:44:32 am »
It was the atv out of my mk3 g40 as I replaced that with a ceg and kept the atv as a spare!

I know my box had atv stamped on it as id cleaned it up and showed you, did yours?

Bugger!

yeah mine previous was atv and was stamped atv, really strange

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 11:17:15 pm »
Tres wierd dude! If u can grab the info petes asking about, im sure someone can check the spreadsheet