Author Topic: Cleaning the engine  (Read 8330 times)

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
Cleaning the engine
« on: October 06, 2008, 02:09:10 pm »
Ok, I think this might be a 'girly' question but I potentially have some time on my hands this weekend and wanted to clean the top bit of the engine.  This bit: (lol)

Is there anyway of doing this yourself? Anyone cleaned this bit up themselves?  I better check how long it takes also in case I get myself into something I can't finish!

Thanks all

Gemma

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Cleaning the engine
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 03:04:58 pm »
i took mine off, cleaned it with parts washer, then sprayed it nice silver...

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 03:12:03 pm »
Oooh nice.  Do I have to get the paint from VW? Would they sell it?  What is parts washer?

I was thinking of painting the calipers but I might as well do the brakes at the same time and it's not ready for that yet.

Is that top bit easy to take off?  Bearing in mind I will have an expert on hand i.e. my Dad!

Thanks for your reply :)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 04:28:32 pm »
just the three black bolts on the top.  When you put it back on make sure you don't over tighten them because they will just snap.  The hole they go into is only as deep as it needs to be so it goes in so far and then basically locks up, once you feel that don't try tightening it any more.

Clean it with whatever you have to hand, I quite like using carb cleaner for stuff like that.  Then some metal polish such as peek or autosol. 

a parts washer is just a bath of nasty chemicals you put car parts in to clean them. 

Get the paint from anywhere really, no need to buy it from VW.  You want to use a high-temp paint really.

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 05:22:20 pm »
Parts washer liquid is only kerosene (aviation jet fuel), so WD40 type liquid will be just as good. Also good to get the oxidised scale off and get a new finish to the alloy would be using a drill with wire brush attachment.

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 09:34:08 am »
I thought about a Dremmel but didn't want to mention it in case I was totally wrong!!

Oooh that's really useful - thank you all.  I might have a go at that this weekend, with a little help from my Dad :)  I'm sure he'll have some aviation jet fuel at work as he happens to work with planes! 

I'm pretty excited!!!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 09:40:46 am »
I'd be careful with a wire brush on a drill on soft aluminum, probably a bit harsh.  Can do it but just be careful and don't press down hard on it.

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 09:49:53 am »
Maybe I'll try it without first?

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 08:33:29 pm »
Dremmel wire brush attachment would be better, but will take longer. As Paul says, as long as you don't press on one spot for too long, then it will be fine.

Offline TomG401991

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 11:07:49 pm »
i used 800 1000 and 1500 wet and dry sandpaper on mine and its near chrome finish

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 08:56:00 am »
Oooh thanks Tom. 

I told my boyfriend the plan of painting it and he wasn't too keen.  He just said to clean it up first and see what it comes out like.  I'll check out the 36k pics to see what the original would've looked like.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 09:16:08 am »
i'll get pics of my bay with the painted rocker. Its in aluminium colour paint so looks pretty cool

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 09:33:26 am »
Thanks Pete :)

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 04:49:47 pm »
is it better to get it sand blasted? Is that even possible?

Offline NeilG40

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 06:11:36 pm »
i used 800 1000 and 1500 wet and dry sandpaper on mine and its near chrome finish

I did the same on mine only they were attached to my air powered dual sander