Author Topic: Increased cc  (Read 3171 times)

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
Increased cc
« on: November 19, 2008, 03:39:34 pm »
After seeing Varleys G40 at the RR day (nice car btw), I wondered what the advantages and disadvantages of increasing the cc (1473cc iirc?) Whats involved? where to source parts? I could bribe my mate to lend me a hand so nobody panic! I would plan to use it with an eaton.

cheers

Offline lance

• Members
Re: Increased cc
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 04:49:34 pm »
well bottom end rebuild,
77mm pistons
1w crank

Offline Varley

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 05:28:03 pm »
Cheers Jon!

Yeah it's basically bored out to 1341cc in the normal way with 77mm pistons then stroked to 1473cc with a '1W' (from a Seat diesel van in my case) crank and block. I'm sure I was told that the pistons used are very subtly different from the 'standard' 77mm jobbies but not sure exactly how - anyone?

Mines got a windage tray too which is like a baffle which kind of 'scrapes' the oil off the bottom of the crank to reduce the drag that the oil 'whipped up' by the spinning assembly can create - I think these are fairly standard on modern diesel engines although not sure if it's essential when doing a 1473cc G40.

One advantage other than the increased potential for power and torque is that there should be better cooling and lubrication by virtue of the late spec diesel crankcase having oil jets directed under the skirt of the pistons.

To my knowledgge there's only about 6 of them about, a couple with turbos, a couple with G60's and mine and one other with G40's - although this is only what I've gathered through the grapevine so to speak..

For the record I didn't actually build it myself although I was in the process of gathering parts having seen Sal's build thread on CP but when Currie's one which was built by Impulse Developments came up for sale I practically bit his arm off!

Hope this helps.

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 09:57:47 pm »
You still got the bits you didnt use?

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 10:04:09 am »
Regardless of cc it is worth having horizonal and vertical baffles in the sump area.

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 10:58:44 am »
I've gotta hunt out a windage tray. Not sure if PPP still do them/have any left

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 01:03:00 pm »
the 1473 convos are all using 1w blocks as i believe those pistons and a crank still wont fit in a PY block without some machining.