Author Topic: Rocker cover gasket sealant  (Read 1727 times)

Offline cheys03

• Members
Rocker cover gasket sealant
« on: June 20, 2011, 11:56:37 pm »
Could someone recommend me some gasket sealant for the rocker cover? I've tried new gaskets and hylomar blue but still the oil gets through. It's significant enough for the car to mark it's territory wherever it stops... so can anyone recommend some serious semi-permanent sealant?

Cheers

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Re: Rocker cover gasket sealant
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 12:00:24 am »
Silicone Rtv ??

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:53:13 am »
you just need to tighten it a bit more, the combination of bolt stretch and the threaded insert pull means it dont go down as far as it did when it left the factory- the bolts bottom out.

Solution-> remove the bolts and take off the rubber cone washer. place a 1mm thick washer on the bolt and replace the rubber cone washer.

now when you do the bolt up (do not over torque!) it will seal

KiZ

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 11:03:21 am »
hmm, be careful though! Those bolts will snap at the drop of a hat and can be a right pain to get the snapped remains out of the bearing cap!

I tend to find that once the shoulder part has bottomed out on the cap surface then more tightening does nothing and will just pull the threaded part off the bottom of the bolt. 

I have a 6n rocker cover on mine and the gasket for these is much more substantial than the old mk3 one, but it only fits on a 6n cover. 

Do you have a proper g40 gasket (assuming you have a g40 cover!), they are different?

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 05:50:29 pm »
Cheers chaps. I should have mentioned it's an alloy mid-eighties rocker cover from a golf iirc with the standard gasket for aav/aau/nz/3f.
ala http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/martinbuck/Rolling%20Road%202011/DSC_0107Large.jpg

I'm just thinking now, perhaps the gasket is the wrong one...?
I've always tightened it until I feel the bolt shoulder bind, and no further. I'll pop some washers in and give the bolts a careful extra tweak and pray. If that fails I'll start with the sealant. Then epoxy. Then weld the bugger :D

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 06:14:14 pm »
i did say dont over torque. all the washer does is allow the rocker bolt another 1/2 turn before it bottoms out