Author Topic: Fitting front Coilovers  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Lost_Cause

• Members
Fitting front Coilovers
« on: May 25, 2011, 07:58:10 pm »
Hey lads, just got a small query on the set up at the top of the coilover.

Got a set of TA Techniks coilovers last summer & just fitting now.

My query is: Went to fit the fronts today & got a bit confused at the top end. Tried to refit the top mount using the little cylinder with the 2 notches cut out. Discovered that the thread is completely different to the piston thread. So, I assumed that these are not reused.
So, I carried on and tried to fit the coilover by basically just balancing everything (no nut holding the spring in compression) on top of the spring & trying to push it up into the suspension tower, while trying to locate both the driveshaft & anti-roll bar. But after much pushing,swearing & the onset of rain.........I packed it in for the day.

the coilovers come supplied with 2 nuts at the top, (1 lock nut, 1 standard nut). It appears to me that the standard nut has nowhere to go, so it's redundant. Unless,it holds the spring in compression while you fit everything below,then slip the top mount in on top by dancing on the anti-roll bar to get enough room to do so.

By the way, I'm not a mechanical newbie, just thought I ask the correct way as opposed to the way that I might do it!

Donie.

Offline Lost_Cause

• Members
Re: Fitting front Coilovers
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 12:14:00 am »
Ok, panic over. Figured out what was wrong.
I was replacing existing Koni's with the coilovers & after much head scratching, had a eureka moment today. The threaded bush that fits the koni's is a slightly finer thread. Poked out 2 VW ones & bingo,everything fits.
Obvious in the end really.