Author Topic: Melted piston  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Melted piston
« on: May 22, 2011, 10:00:27 pm »
After a successful day at yoof's unit getting the ppp frame done i drove back and was 40 miles from home and lost power, plume of smoke from the rear, and engine cut out quickly. So pulled over, started it up and it was running ruff as fook. Called the mighty AA and while they were on the way me and my mate took the plugs out. 1,2 and 4 were a little black but no3 was oily suggesting a fried ring or melted piston. My money was on the piston as the power loss was similar to my mate who melted his piston.

Today we were taking apart the engine and i thought lets take the injectors out to see if they are spraying ok. We turned the crank over by hand and they were all fine, so we knew it wasn't a problem. After a lot of hassle with that stupid plastic timing belt cover we got the head off. And found this......

There is damage to the block and it will be easier to get a bottom end. I would like to get forged pistons as that was the plan if it was only the rings that had gone but that didnt happen.

However the fuelling is what i think has caused this. Time for a bottom end.

But also the big valve head goes on too.  ;)

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
Re: Melted piston
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 10:45:16 pm »
ouch:-( it not possible to bore that block out for your forged pistons? 1mm is quite a lot of material- so you might not need a new block

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 10:59:10 pm »
I think that im going to buy a rebuilt bottom end and then with my current one i will bore it out over time and get forged pistons and rebuild it. Im trying to keep it as a 1.3 but im not sure how much i can bore out to keep it as a 1.3. If it wasn't an original g40 i would have done it without a doubt and gone turbo. Will have to keep the melted piston as "my 1st ever piston melted" hopefully of not too many. But i keep smiling about it. I keep using this as an excuse to put the bvh on thats been sitting here since january.

Offline brownysblower

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 05:31:29 pm »
Hi if your going get another engine ,i would be interested in buying the block £££
many thanks
chris

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 11:02:12 pm »
Picking up a new bottom end tomorrow. So I can sell it. All I want to keep is the melted piston.