Author Topic: Using a mocal oil pump in a standalone oil supply  (Read 3047 times)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Using a mocal oil pump in a standalone oil supply
« on: April 23, 2011, 07:10:20 pm »
I have bought a mocal oil pump (like this http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p3652/MOCAL-ELECTRIC-OIL-PUMP/product_info.html) to put into my oil supply to charger as im not to keen on the facet fuel pumps as one failed on me after having it installed for a month at the very most. Got it cheap £60 and new.

1st of all, does anyone run a pump like this in their system?

So the pump is a little larger than i thought and i will have to get adapters to go from the 3/8 npt to the braided lines i already have. I cant see this being a problem but could it cause a problem? I will be looking to install another oil pressure gauge to keep an eye on it.

The other question i have is, now its an oil pump i can run normal oil in the system. What would be a good oil to use? Was thinking of using something thin still and paying a little extra and get redline oil.

Any help and points in the correct direction would be very helpfull.

James

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
Re: Using a mocal oil pump in a standalone oil supply
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 06:25:52 pm »
That's a cracking buy for £60; it should easily handle any oil you choose so you wouldn't have to go for anything too pricey. I'd go for a 0-30 or 40. I'm running a Facet cube pump at 5psi on Joe Gibbs XP0; so far no problems, but after what happened to you it's twitchy sphincter time.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 09:31:53 pm »
Yeah i know, got it off ebay mate. Check it out from time to time and see what come up.

Im currently using a 3.5-5 psi one and it has no problems but it is brand new. The pump before had seized. Then again moe reason to have a pressure gauge installed into the line.

I was thinking 0-30 as it wot get that hot in the system.

Something like this maybe http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Red-Line-0W20-Motor-Oil-0-946-Litres-/400134902023?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d29e61107#ht_2720wt_907

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 06:37:46 pm »
Right the size of the thread on the pump is 3/8npt. Does anyone know the size of the thread on the braided lines that normally go to and from the facet pump? Looking to fit it this weekend but need to buy the right adapters.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 10:09:18 am »
Try taking the kit to a local hydraulic supplies place, or agricultural place (e.g. somewhere that services tractors and the like) they normally have plenty of bits.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 11:34:33 am »
Gonna go to merlin motorsport and get the fittings there. They were only a few ££ on website.