Author Topic: 1984 Comet Blue Polo Coupe S - G40 Turbo (The end)  (Read 21970 times)

Offline G40 AD

• Members
Re: 1984 Comet Blue Polo Coupe S - G40 Turbo
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2011, 08:56:05 am »
Went to see this yesterday - in all honesty its looking epic! Cant wait to get out and have a play in this!

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2011, 01:01:18 am »
George (Rolo) worked his magic and stopped the turbo and rad making love, also fitted a jabba induction kit, stage 3 sunny, exips n some yoko's. Just gotta weld up the sump and do a couple of bits of wiring. Wanna get it on the road for gti festival

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2011, 02:22:02 am »
Oct 11th

spent yesterday fitting a storm single wiper and rehanging the exhaust after it all came off for the turbo relocation, also adjusted the pressure switch to activate at 6 psi and refitted thata

reweld oil drain back to sump as its been leaking
fill with oil
rear lights - brake and fog lights
hazard switch not working
fit lambda
set wheelbase on stage3 subby
wire in-tank pump

fire up and hopefully rejoice!

30th October

lambda fitted and sump welded up.

had to strategically modify the exhaust, with a sledgehammer to clear the driveshaft, as it was fouling.

fitted gen exhaust manifold gaskets, which i thought would involve taking the exhaust off again! but thankfully managed to get it on without taking the turbo or downpipe off

filled up with oil and went to start the beast but there was no spark! so made a relay circuit up to feed power to the coil as for some reason the oe wiring for the coil wasnt giving out any power.

went to start it again and i have a fuel leak at one of the injectors!

so once thats all sorted in the week, i shall have videos of it running for you all

Today

changed all the o-rings on the injectors, refitted fuel rail!

car turned over on the first turn of the key - absolutely buzzing!

exhaust has come off again however, along with the sump, as despite being welded up on the car, it was still leaking slightly. so I'm fitting my spare sump that George (Rolo) welded a screw-on fitting onto, and Chris is sorting out finding a suitable length pipe for me from the local engineering place!

Hopefully the bits will be sorted out, so I can refit everything and take it for a lil spin and then drop it off at the garage for its MOT.

Oh and as you do, I've bought another car! Barnfind Mk1 Golf 3dr in Blue!

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2011, 12:32:13 am »
Oil Drain Lines - This has been a pain in the arse!

The first drain line, that was fitted to the car, was a cut down VW jack. but it wasnt welded properly so leaked. Car turned over and ran brilliantly, no smoke, but was losing oil from where the sump fitting was welded. with the inability to get the welding torch on the upper side of the sump, I got Rolo to weld an spare fitting we had in the unit, 1/4" BSP!

stripped the exhaust and sump off, fitted the new sump. got a return line made up, refitted exhaust, fired car up and noticed plumes of oily smoke out the back and oil dripping down the downpipe!

BUGGER!

THe oil drain line was too small a bore!

So got some adaptors and some 3/8" tubing made up, drilled out some of the fittings to put less restriction on the flow, but the oil drain line sat under the subframe, so when the engine rocked backwards under acceleration, it would rip the fitting off! so jacked the engine up, fitted the oil line above it, dropped the engine, snapped the fitting!

BASTARD!

so after spending 50 pounds on fittings and lines that were at best a pikey fix (of which I knew, I was just putting off doing it properly, as I wanted it done quickly) and having to take my sump off three times, I bit the bullet and spunked out 76 quid on some gucci AN10 stainless hosing and aeroquip style fittings.

Made a boo-boo by buying an alloy weld on sump fitting, and was told by Chris that I cant weld alloy to the steel sump!

DOH!

not too bad, as the peril has an alloy sump made by RPM. so trundled off home and whipped that off, went to see Phataz, who welded the fitting to the alloy sump and we went off to the unit happy as larry.

Had a right pain in the arse getting the fittings on, and dethreaded on of the fittings and my good mate accidently dethreaded the alloy sump fitting, so the sump had to come off AGAIN, back to Phataz, who welded on the 2nd weld on sump fitting i had spare.

Another 40 quid on 2 new fittings, to replace the dethreaded aeroquip fittings, and some patience meant I finally had a proper, non-leaking, suitablly large diameter oil return line.

Pics of said oil line & fittings :-

I think the 5 minutes the car had ran with the wrong size drain back line had damanged the oil seals, as you can see the leak at the base of the turbo in this pic.

So £166 quid lighter, I finally had a kushdi oil line and a buggered turbo! This was one expensive lesson, in doing things properly from the off.

Video of the car as she is now, running and schmokey!

Does anyone know of companies that supply oil seals for Garrett Turbos?

Also is anyone running restrictors in the oil feed lines?

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2011, 11:48:16 pm »
bought a rebuild kit and stepped rear oil seal from turbo rebuild uk in blackpool. and it arrived on Friday, just in time for the weekend.

Met up with the boys up at Wards End, and after some quality munch (itchy bum chicken and spring rolls) i had all the tools assembled to attack the turbo rebuild.

got in at half 12 and despite it being most peoples bedtimes. i  was far too excited so stripped the turbo down in me living room.

exhaust housing removed and orientation marked in true PTNT fashion

lots of burnt oil and oily residue behind the heat shield

the compressor side

shaft after removing old oil seal but before cleaning out the grooves

new stepped oil seal fitted

back on the car

woop!

VIdeo of the first run up to temp

I also gave a side of the Golf a quick polish

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2011, 05:18:16 pm »
Well the previous suspension kit was lowered springs on standard shocks, with the bumpstops removed! so on the trip to the MOT station, I managed to mangle the arch and take a chunk out of the tyre down to the cord!

Some new tyres on the front and all was sorted!

Now fitted ta KW 60mm kit on the front, with 15mm Bonrath Lowering top caps and new top mounts, and the suspension is suitably stiff to ensure theres no arch to tyre contact :)

Unfortunatly this cracked the paint on the arch trim, so they have been taken off and will be nitromoored and then back to blacked and put back on the car. On the flip side, the arches were super clean underneath so I'm stoked :)

Just got to whip off the 256mm brakes and discs off the Mk1 Polo tonight, fit them tomorrow, give it a good bleed and then I can get it over to aruns for a bit of welding on the battery tray and although I want to cut out a slightly crispy patch by the drivers jacking point. Its not gone, but was an advisory.

Car now s MOT & TAX so looking forward to driving it, although I dont think it'll be doing many snow miles!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 11:38:21 pm by grungeisdead »

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2011, 09:33:01 pm »
good to see this up and running mate - youve done a good job. will we be seeing this at aldon in the new year?

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2012, 03:35:41 pm »
cheers man :) sticking lucas 54 calipers, feredo pads and some 256mm discs tomo so I can actually stop and changing one of the tyres, as it got merked by the collapsed suspension (no bumpstops and dead shocks!) but thats all been replaced by my KW kit.

still need to get an M10 x 1.0 tap for the top of the HnR rear shockers as I ruined the thread on them using the wrong pitch nut last year

Shall be at Aldon if I've not broken it in the meantime!

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2012, 08:44:43 pm »
Bluey meets Bluey!

The turbo is an absolute winner! Love it! Only drove it 37 miles and 31 of them involved a massive smile on my face! Woop Woop! Shame it got driven to its graveyard today!

Offline Cliff

• Members
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2012, 03:40:58 pm »
driven to its graveyard?????? ???

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2012, 04:11:09 pm »
aye its being stripped, the engine conversion is going in a series 1 golf i recently purchased, you can see it parked next to the polo in the above picture.

either selling the car as a rolling shell, or putting the HK lump out of the mk1 into it

Offline sparkz786

• Members
Re: 1984 Comet Blue Polo Coupe S - G40 Turbo (The end)
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2012, 11:21:04 am »
hi mate, still have the alley cats for sale? cheers

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
Re: 1984 Comet Blue Polo Coupe S - G40 Turbo (The end)
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2012, 12:15:24 pm »
nah sold many moons ago