Author Topic: 1984 Comet Blue Polo Coupe S - G40 Turbo (The end)  (Read 21965 times)

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
Re: 1984 Comet Blue Polo Coupe S - G40 Turbo
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 11:10:57 pm »
saffy mate - what size is the wurbo? i see compressor side is .48 - whats the exhaust side?

cheers dooooood

Offline willsalter1000

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 10:23:17 pm »
exhaust housing will be a similar size if not the same

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 01:24:24 am »
hey kiz, soz for the late reply, not sure on the size, took a pic of the markings for ya tho

heres some pics of the downpipe ya dub-disaster

after taking a two week sabbatical on the cars and playing all the xbox games id missed, i thought id jump back on it!

turbo feed line fitted

oil drain line measured up so i can order a suitable hose

intercooler mounting brackets sprayed

intercooler fitted

mk2 g40 oem boost hose

routing for turbo to intercooler, gotta get a 57->51mm 90 degree bend boost hose

trusty friend holesaw made suitable venting for the intercooler

refitted bumper

some other piccies

things left to do

gotta sort out the cooling system this week, starting with my choice of rad, as space is rather limited, along with getting the appropriate fittings for the turbo

fit oil cooler, thermostatic plate, new vag oil filter and oil change

fit painted fuel pump bracket, and source mk3 fuel lines

bleed brakes

extend boost piping to throttle body

fit dump valve

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 01:58:07 am »

Friday

After last weeks researchin sesh, got a load of parts ordered to complete the puzzle so ill be gettin over to the unit to fit them all when they do.

Also got my solid brake line made up, recut the thread on one of the braided hoses, fitted mk3 fuel lines (thanks to o1mlacey) still need the ones to the lift pump though if anyone can help.

Arun (phataz1) also cut me some holes in the dash for mounting the guages and mounted the fuel pump bracket. Weve just gotta tack a couple of studs to the rear chassis leg for two of the mounting rubbers to finish that off.

Gonna try my hand at welding up the battery tray too, my first attempt but about time I gave it a go!

What are peoples thought on the colour coded arches? I want to take them back to black and put some gti black strips on the lower swage line

Today

Got a solid brake line made up on sunday, fitted it today, along with the last goodridge braided hose and bled the system up with dot 5.1

Few bits turned up today,

Seal for the thermostatic plate, so fitted that along with a vw oil filter and the oil lines. Just gotta mount the cooler.

Boost hoses and alloy pipes came and they accidentally send two alloy pipes! Winner! Came in handy too.

Set azbar on the job of fitting all the boost hoses, all fits snugly

Back up to the unit as soon as the rad and turbo water line fittings arrive in the post!

Offline DMWG40

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 09:15:25 am »
very nice, keep up the hard work

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 02:47:55 pm »
That's some amount of work for two months. I'm tired just watching. lol.
Looking forward to the finished article. Having said that do we ever get finished?

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 01:27:11 pm »
haha nah they are never finished, if its not refining, its something breaking =P

new rads arrived today, 380mm core mk2 g40 rad and a top fill early mk2 rad, so ill be bobbing up tonight to get them fitted.

still waiting on me banjo bits for the turbos water lines, grrrr

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2011, 02:36:22 am »
banjos, bolts and oil drain line turned up today, but the muppets managed to give me the correct m14 bolt but a m12 banjo! grr. hopefully should be here soon!

taken two evenings of fiddling to get the radiator squeezed into place. props to lou for the help last night. pretty stoked about it now

you can also see the fitted rad hoses and hose adaptor for turbo line

its a rather tight fit, so i need to invest in some sort of heat sheilding

found an oil cooler in the unit, the absolute perfect size. need to measure it up and get one if i cant buy this one of the lads

drain line fitted in this pic

finally got a pic of the guages - got an oil temp to fit in place of the clock, none are wired up at the mo, but the boost guage feed is connected

nearly complete!

still got a healthy job list

fit oil cooler
fit oil cooler lines
need a 76mm jubilee for air filter
heat wrap for turbo
fit downpipe and hang exhaust
plumb turb water lines
fit indicators
fit isv hose to induction piping
fit pipe off manifold for vac hoses
vac hose for ecu
fit fuel pump and accumulator
get fuel lines for intank pump
block off BRV
fit a 6 psi boost switch
rad wiring
fit mk2 engine loom for brakes/temp/wipers etc

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 10:35:01 am »
looking good saf - worried about that rad tho mate - that will melt! and when you engine brake it will touch - you dont want that to happen!!!

is there no way you can gain some extra room by undoing all the engine mounts and making sure its the furthest back it can be?

or look at other rads??? needs to be a good amount of clearence dood at least 1" id say very least

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2011, 09:47:37 pm »
Hey man, anything with a 350mm core would suffice. Got a heat mat for the turbo now, will just see how it goes. Rad was 20 quid so no biggie if it bites the dust!

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 03:23:29 am »
The black oil cooler I had didnt fit my lines, but bagged a bargain cooler for a fiver at tatton park. They luckily had the same fittings so got it fitted tonight.

Stuck a gen vw filter and filled with oil.

With thanks to philpheasant for the fuel lines, I finally got the oem fuel lines to the intank pump fitted. Just need to grab a new fuel filter and wire up the pump and the fuelling sidea complete!

Exhaust is all fitted,  just got fit the return line for the turbo water feed, do a few bits of wiring, make up some vac lines and block off the brv ( mates turning down some ally for me )

Hopefully running by the weekend and off for an mot monday!

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 06:25:13 am »
Good progress.Realy like this car look foward to seeing it on the road, is the colour original? What cam you got in there ??

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 08:27:53 am »
Yeah oem colour dude, its got a GT cam fitted atm

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 01:12:06 pm »
sweet mate.....sweet

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2011, 01:35:18 pm »
no pics at the moment but got a few more bits done

cut a section out of the bonnet to allow it to shut properly with the new rad mounting brackets
modded throttle body to house boost pressure switch
all vac lines now connected
got a full set of tyres for the exips, so getting them fitted tomorrow
also picked up a stage 2 subframe and g-lader blocks, so they are going onto the peril, and the PPS frame is going on here
painted up my front struts which were fitted with new vw bearings, just gotta refit my kw shock inserts, and vag top mounts and they can go on the car
lous got my grill and hes cutting out all the sections so its fully open for plenty of airflow to the oil cooler and rad

still after the plug from the loom, for the in-tank lift pump if anyone can chop one out a loom for me!