Author Topic: chip fitting  (Read 2650 times)

Offline alexm866

• Members
chip fitting
« on: May 10, 2011, 02:12:22 pm »
looked about for this but not found owt, just an idea of how to go about changing the chip on my g40, as its going back to standard for a year or two. already got the standard chip and pulley ready.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: chip fitting
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 02:38:50 pm »
on most g40 ecus it's pretty easy, but some have no chip socket and have the eeprom chip soldered directly to the pcb.  You wont know till you open it up.

undo the four screws that hold the plastic cover on the ECU, then slide off the cover revealing the PCB itself.  

The chip lives underneath a metal rf shield.  The shield is removed by pushing in two tabs, one on either side of it and then lifting it up.  Now you'll see if the chip is in a socket or not.  Here is a picture I found of underneath the shield:

The chip is the rectangle shaped IC.

If it's in a nice socket then just use a small flat blade screw driver to ease it out from end to end being careful not to bend any pins.  Then push the new chip in place ensuring the legs are lining up.  Be careful to put the chip in the same way round!!!  Chips have a semi circle notch on one end so make sure this is on the same end as the chip you take out.

The main other thing to watch out for is static damage.  I'll guess that you haven't got an anti-static wrist strap and earthing point so I'll just say don't do this while wearing a big woolly jumper or anything!  Don't leave the ECU open for any longer than is absolutely necessary, get the shield back in place as soon as you can.  Also try not to touch any of the components apart from the one(s) you absolutely have to (i.e. the chip itself).

If you find your chip is soldered directly to the PCB then it's a job for a professional really, or at least someone with a decent soldering iron and soldering skills.  If this is the case I can do it for you for a few bob if you post it to me.  Or someone like Andy from PPP possibly would too.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 02:57:06 pm by hayesey »

Offline G40supercharged

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 08:52:40 am »
To prevent static damage just do the work with the ECU on a sheet of aluminium kitchen foil. This keeps everything at the same voltage. If you need to go away touch the foil first when you come back to the ECU (rather than picking it up straight away). Any static will discharge to the foil rather than an ECU component. You should also store spare EPROMs ('chips') wrapped in silver foil (if you don't have the proper anti static bag or foam) when it's not fitted in the ECU.

Offline alexm866

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 11:29:58 am »
cheers for the advice guys, answers all i needed to know, fingers crossed it'll be a push in jobby