Author Topic: Steering rack  (Read 2786 times)

Offline Spacemonkey1993

• Members
Steering rack
« on: April 04, 2011, 07:39:27 pm »
So im mid way through lowering and i cant seem to get the rack off of the suspension strut... is the bolt threaded through the metal or should it fall straight out?? is this a common problem? please help!

thanks!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Steering rack
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 08:03:37 pm »
Sometimes needs a fair old whack with a hammer, screw a nut on top first to stop damage to the thread.  Ideally use a ball joint splitter, although these can rip the boot so be careful

Offline Spacemonkey1993

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 08:10:17 pm »
ok - i have been hitting it very hard with a hammer and as you can see in the picture i have applied a lot of wd40, i guess just let it soak in and try tomorow?

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 09:10:32 pm »
best way is with a ball joint seperator one of the clamp pincer type are the best as the others are more likley to damage the boot and dont fit, they look like over grown bulldog clips with a fork at one If youve beat it about and it wont come apart ball joint seperator is the next step.

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 10:07:04 am »
Dont use the ball joints splitters that you have to hammer in as it will most definitely split the rubber boot.

Use one like this type, Leave the nut on the threads but only finger tight otherwise the nut will just spin the ball joint when you try to take the nut off afterwards.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht222-ball-joint-remover

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 10:10:15 am »
freeze spray works a treat on corroded bits too.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 10:21:37 am »
yeah I used to have that exact one from machine mart but I snapped it in half doing bottom arms on a passat, which if you think polo steering arms are hard to get out, you ain't seen nothing!  ;)

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 11:43:45 am »
If you have to whack it, put a good solid support under the strut arm right next to the joint.  Also recommend a copper head hammer.

Offline Spacemonkey1993

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 07:19:40 pm »
thanks for all the help! ill try it tomorow

Offline boyzey

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 08:13:05 pm »
mate just get your hammer and bray the actual strut wer it goes around the track rod end, basicaly around wer the track rod comes through the hub, works every time and only chance of nackering thread is if you miss with the hammer haha