Author Topic: aquamist jet sizes and positioning  (Read 3742 times)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
aquamist jet sizes and positioning
« on: September 22, 2008, 11:26:16 am »
I finally got round to fitting my Aquamist 1S kit which has been sat in a kitchen cupboard for about two years yesterday.

I just want to know people's opinions on jet sizes and positioning.  Particularly sizes since I don't know what's best for a g40 here.  

I know PSD used to put two jets in (but no idea what sizes), one before the intercooler and one in the inlet manifold.  I don't know whether Steve came to this setup via rolling road testing or just what he figured was best.  I'm not sure I like the idea of putting one before the IC though as everything I've read says this is a bad idea.  The reason is always that the IC isn't as efficient if the temp of the charge air going through it is closer to the temp of the cooling air going over it.  More heat is taken out of hotter charge air than cooler charge air.  And then a jet just after the IC can cool it further.  

I was thinking for now I might just put one jet just after my intercooler but still no idea on what size to use.  

Then when I fit my turbo I'll probably put two jets on, with the 2nd in the inlet manifold.  I'll also need to buy a check valve to stop vacuum drawing water out of the jet off boost.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 11:28:26 am by hayesey »

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: aquamist jet sizes and positioning
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 05:17:42 pm »
0.3mm jets stick in my mind. Think the rear of the inlet manifold spray was to try to keep the pistons and valves a lot cooler I seem to remember Liam saying. Fairly sure that was just theoretical though.

I found when I stuck mine on it made the car slower if using just water - unless you advanced the timing a touch, in which case you'd be about where you were before. I reckon it's only worthwhile if you're using methanol with it, and you tailor the ignition timing to suit (i.e. remap it).

Having said that, I still think I'm going to re-fit my kit, and go with a jet in the rear of the inlet manifold - the valves/valve guides need all the help they can get.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 05:18:06 pm by Andy »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: aquamist jet sizes and positioning
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 06:17:59 pm »
just a single jet in the inlet manifold or are you putting one elsewhere as well?  I plan on using a methanol mix in it.

Offline G-spot

• Members
Re: Re: Re: aquamist jet sizes and positioning
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 10:58:51 pm »
I fitted a non aquamist kit, and ran a 80ccm(150PSI) nozzle on the hose between the IC and TB, I also ran an external nozzle (150CCM) onto the outside of the standard IC. Using a thermo couple inside the TB I measured an inlet temp at the same as outside atomospheric temp while runing nearly 17PSI of boost.
Originally while experimenting I had the 150CC nozzle in the inlet tube, but it was causing the odd misfire, though unfortunaly at the time I didn't have a temp gauge rigged up, but the TBH was actually frosty to touch on the outside(if I pulled over quickly and checked it after a hard accel up the dual carriageway).  On both cases I ran an approx 50% Methanol Mix, an depending where you getting the water supply from I found the VAG Winter Screen wash mixed at a 1:1 ratio is pretty effective! I'm pretty sure I did a post on it back on the PSD forum at the time.

The basic kit I fitted is very similar to this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DEVILS-WATER-INJECTION-KIT-TURBO-GTR-GTS-STI-GTO-RS-VRS_W0QQitemZ140269541634QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140269541634&_trkparms=72%3A12|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 11:07:40 pm by G-spot »

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: Re: Re: Re: aquamist jet sizes and positioning
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 03:59:51 pm »
[quote pid=4328 author=hayesey date=1222103879]just a single jet in the inlet manifold or are you putting one elsewhere as well?  I plan on using a methanol mix in it.[/quote]
Not sure to be honest.

Possibly just the inlet manifold - Yoof has one pre-intercooler on his setup too, which I might replicate - if only to clean out the ex-turbo diesel intercooler I'm using!

Offline lance

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: aquamist jet sizes and positioning
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 03:50:15 pm »
i have a front mount of a cossie an am almost sure it has a tap pre intercooler for a water injection injector,

what do you think of that devil water injection one andy?

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
Re: aquamist jet sizes and positioning
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 05:04:20 pm »
what kind of power gains have you guys been seeing from the aquamist kit?