Author Topic: drive shafts  (Read 2362 times)

Offline shaung40

• Members
drive shafts
« on: March 02, 2011, 02:22:13 pm »
hi all just a quick 1 will coupe s drive shafts anc cv handle the power of a g as i keep shattering cv joints and need sum new ones just askin 2 c if any1 else has this problem and wot u do

Offline ereeiz

• Members
Re: drive shafts
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 12:29:21 pm »
Check the outputs on the box, if there's lots of play there it can help knacker joints pretty quick. I think this was the reason I went through 3 in as many months

Offline shaung40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 12:41:46 pm »
sweet i shall hav a gander l8r do u know if other cv joints fit on

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 01:15:47 pm »
all mk2 and mk3 CV joints are the same (well, actually, early mk2 ones not so sure).  G40 CVs have a different part code but I can't see any difference and I'm am positive that they are exactly the same.

There is however a difference between cheapo ebay ones and genuine ones!

Offline shaung40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 01:21:21 pm »
ok thatnks pal i shall hav a gander at them iv got no play or anythin just shatterd 2 normal cv joints off a normal 1.3 spi polo i had them lyin around but cudnt cope with the power

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 11:40:25 pm »
Could just be worn parts when fitted? If you can get hold of a reference book of them (parts places used to have books, maybe still do?) you can sometimes find other shafts the same dimensions but can cope with more torque. You should be fine with the correct bits though unless you have more power going through them, or your driving style is perhaps a little too rough? Try easing off the power gradually (but still quickly) in a smooth motion as opposed to just lifting off (dunno if you do "enthusiastic" driving round town or whatever, lots of traffic light GP's, rapid start/ stops while being too rough). If it's just normal use on a normal car then something is at fault somewhere in the drivetrain, be it worn parts, loosely fitted parts (eg. allowing play from the box- shaft from loose multispline bolts) or something else?

If you are fitting 2nd hand shafts then its worth pulling the boots back and filling the joints with fresh grease, look for swarf or other crap too. While you're there grab the shaft with one hand and the cup with the other and try and rotate them in opposite directions back and forth to see if there's play. Change the boots too if they're worn as you can fail MOT on this now I think, not to mention having to do it again when it splits/ leaks anyway.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 11:44:13 pm »
I think the dimensions of the spline that goes into the hub are different for a G40 aren't they?

Perhaps look at a 1.3 mk3 Golf shaft (may be too long though), I think I used them on my mk2 golf conversion, but I may have just used G40 ends on mk2 golf shafts though- I really can't remember, but this might help you or someone else out, lol.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 09:35:52 am »
there's nothing that'll simply swap on. 

you can use bigger mk1 golf outer joints but it also involves swapping to mk1 golf hubs!