Author Topic: Bigger bottom end....  (Read 10507 times)

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
Re: Bigger bottom end....
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2011, 12:13:55 am »

You can alter the stroke of a crank by re-sizing the journals.
[/quote]

You really can't...
[/quote]

Regrind the journal giving it a smaller diameter with a centreline further from the centreline of the crank. Conrod is sleeved and smaller bearing shells fitted..Conrod now has increased travel up and down cylinder. Or reverse.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011, 05:28:49 am »
I understand completely what you're talking about- but the stroke is still the same, no matter what journal diameter you have.

The only way what you're talking about will work is to offset the journal, but it's pointless and a highly expensive task for any machine shop, and you've built a compromised crank as it willbe far weaker.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 06:32:14 am »
Just out of intrest are 1w cranked 77mm bore engines less "rev happy" because of the increased stroke ? Or is it not increased by enough to make a difference?

Offline polo classic

• Members
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011, 12:55:38 pm »
I understand completely what you're talking about- but the stroke is still the same, no matter what journal diameter you have.

The only way what you're talking about will work is to offset the journal, but it's pointless and a highly expensive task for any machine shop, and you've built a compromised crank as it willbe far weaker.

Offset grind has been fairly usual in drag racing circles, but normally they have found standard size rods with smaller journal that can be used, eg using Chevy BB rods in stroked Ford BB's

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2011, 09:49:14 pm »
Thats what I was talking about Pete, I said a reground journal with a centreline further from the centreline of the crank. I assumed you knew what I was talking about, the description was aimed at Rich who seemed oblivious to the idea. As stated, I didn't have the dimensions to see if it was possible.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2011, 10:12:46 am »
I'd be surprised if there was enough meat in the crank to make it viable on a Polo- main thing is cost, machine shop time is by no means cheap, especially for custom tooling and one off jobs.

I'm only aware of this being done to get within capacity regs for specific motorsport applications, I'm still unsure why you'd bother with it cost wise, when a custom set of pistons is circa £600/set.

Offline Insight G40

• Members
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2011, 10:23:50 am »
I will be selling a complete 1473cc engine very soon.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2011, 12:16:54 pm »
Isn't it already sold?

Offline Richg40

• Members
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2011, 01:33:39 pm »
It's not the modification of the crank that increases the stroke, it's offset of the sleeved conrod that would alter the swept distance. Totally fucking pointless in the grand scheme of things. Lets get some perspective here, this is a polo engine (!) not a 10000 horse drag machine burning an oil drum of alchohol every 50 yards. Fucks sake.

Offline Insight G40

• Members
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2011, 01:46:59 pm »
Isn't it already sold?

No, I have two, one in bits that is sold, and one built that I haven't listed yet.

Offline dani1326

• Members
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2011, 11:28:37 pm »
would it be easyer to bore mine out to 77mm (1341.11cc) then slap in some Wössner 77mm pistons??