Author Topic: Rear strut braces  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Rear strut braces
« on: February 25, 2011, 10:22:37 pm »
More dumb questions from me :D

This time, strut braces.

Years ago I bought a Weichers Sport one, that goes about half way down the rear shock towers. I wedged it in for a few weeks but didn't keep it because, at the time, my car was a daily and it would've made it difficult to put stuff in the boot.

I can't find these anywhere at the moment, but there seem to be a lot of the ones that go between the top of the shocks. I've never fancied this because it doesn't actually brace the shell, but it looks like it'll stop the shocks moving as they should. They do, however, avoid losing any boot space.

Do these newer ones actually do anything? And will they damage my shocks at all?

And does anyone know of a UK Weichers Sport supplier? I can't find one.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: Rear strut braces
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 10:53:30 am »
Will get some pictures of a couple we've developed when I get back, Should be around £65 and requrie 4 holes fixing into the chassis.

I'd never use the ones that connect on the top of shocks- any stresses that are enough to twist a chassis, will certainly bend your shocks!

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 11:19:33 am »
Are your ones ready yet Yoof?  I will take one off you's as soon as they are please.

cheers grant

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 01:50:31 pm »
Yup- got 2 in stock, will post pics in 30min when I'm back home  :)

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 03:15:00 pm »
Some pics- obviously they're not bolted in on my car.

These are £65 + £15 insured postage on 1-2day delivery.

Let me know if you're interested via e-mail: enquiries@poloperformanceparts.co.uk

Cheers

Pete

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 03:56:32 pm »
When you say attatch to the top of the strut are we talking about the top of the turret as I had an eibach one (front top strut brace) that came with my car and it has a hoop either end that is attached to the top of the turret via 3 bolts at either end, I was wondering if these where any good cause they look like more for show but I thought eibach where a reputable brand and would put out a product for show would they ?? It's also made of aluminuim which makes me wonder about it's strength surely a brace should be steel ??

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 05:19:13 pm »
Are the both red Yoof?

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 08:11:46 pm »
@Yoof, that's exactly what I'm after. If I've missed one of the two originals, when will the next lot be available?

I'd quite like to get it painted Pearl Grey to match the car so I'd need to get it ASAP.

Also, does it mount that high up? The Weichers one mounts lower than that.

So with the other type, if your shocks aren't bent your brace isn't doing anything?

And how much room is there for the bolts inside the wheel well?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 09:31:38 pm »
Anthony- The front ones do bollock all, the bulkhead between the struts it one of the thickest parts of the car on a Polo- Most of the aluminium aftermarket ones are for show only, you'll see a large amount of cage designs don't brace between the front turrets on similar set-ups which supports this.

GAF2- Yes both red unfortunately- although the paint is good I don't think it would take much to key it up and re-spray whatever colour required.

Alex- Yourself and GAF2 can have these first 2 if requried  :) There is enough space in the wheel arch for the cap head bolts that are supplied, we supply rubber covers for the inside so they don't catch anything either. I would mount it as high up the strut tower as possible as this will be where maximum movement is.

With the other type that mount to the shocks, if you've ever been unfortunate enough to drop or bend a shock by mistake, you'll realise the little force/impact it requries- if the brace were doing anything in the car, both strut tops would be bent, no question.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 09:34:48 pm »
Go on then - do you take PayPal?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 09:38:54 pm »
Of course- enquiries@poloperformanceparts.co.uk (please pay the fees) will chuck you in some free stickers  ;)