Author Topic: Torque Steer  (Read 6736 times)

Offline giorgio

• Members
Torque Steer
« on: March 13, 2008, 11:36:09 am »
This forum seems to have the engineers of the polo world so thought I would raise the debate here.

Now I know we will realistically never totally eliminate torque steer as we are asking too much from the front wheels. But have been doing some reading into equal length driveshafts.

As far as I know nothing like this has been done before on a polo so I am assuming either a) its not worth the hassle or b) nobody ever really thought about it.

Besides the physical tolerances of the parts, which I assume would be up to the job although I will need to check this, would my theory work -

Extend the O/S flange shaft, with a lay shaft, then use a N/S driveshaft giving equal length driveshafts.

Would the lay shaft need to be braced or supported in any way? I worry it would 'sag'.

Could this new shaft be made from welding a flange shaft on the outside end and a CV joint on the inner, or would the inner joint need to be rigid. As in custom made or modified flange shaft.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Torque Steer
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 08:50:23 pm »
just buy an LSD, it will eliminate enough of the torque steer without spending stupid money.

Equal length driveshafts have been done before yes:

But that's a very expensive 6 speed sequential gearbox from a polo S1600:

« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 08:50:52 pm by hayesey »

Offline Tav

• Members
Re: Re: Torque Steer
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 01:11:51 am »
I was on that Vauxhall forum, MIG WEB is it?

I was looking around the internet for equal length drive shaft kits to get an idea of what the were made up of.  The example I saw on the forum was two of the cars standard short shafts + lay shaft + some type of brace and that was it....

It got me thinking that surely sourcing another drive shaft and having a lay shaft made shouldn't be that expensive?  Certainly it wouldn't require something as expensive as the gear box above.

It also appears many new cars use this sort of set up to help eliminate torque steer.

Edit:

Here is a picture of what I believe to be a Calibra XE set up:

Top one obviously being the longer shaft w/ lay shaft and bracket.  Found these on a guide for fitting them to a Nova.

Random picture showing some different set ups:

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 01:26:30 am by Tav »

Offline giorgio

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Torque Steer
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 11:30:04 am »
I know one firm did make and began testing it but never saw it through.

Tav what you are talking about is pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

The brace needs to be mounted off the engine block as the engine flexes. If you were to mount off the chasis then the lay shaft will snap when the engine rocks.

During testing they destroyed the lay-shaft/driveshaft joint. It was decided that the joint would need a oil feed, such as that from the G-lader.

I was always under the impression a LSD would increase the effects of torque steer.

Hayesey whos is that build thread. Browse CGTi every now and then but never come across it.

Offline Tav

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Torque Steer
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 12:05:13 pm »
It's that crazy boy....who has the most insane Polo I've seen, Dogwood: http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=157429&highlight=titanium+exhaust

I see what you say about mounting the brace for the layshaft.  Surprised to find they broke the joint, surely they could look at something beefier rather than an oil feed?  Those Calibra shafts probably have to deal with 150-200bhp+...no idea how reliable they are.  Def. seems to be a popular mod on the Vauxhall forums though...

Would be a good way to eliminate some torque steer with apparently little disadvantages?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Torque Steer
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 12:33:49 pm »
I was always under the impression a LSD would increase the effects of torque steer.

not in my experience, my gemini diff reduced it loads compared to an open diff.  As one wheel starts to scrabble for grip the diff just locks up so both wheels have to go at the same speed.  I've not fitted my gripper diff yet but am presuming it'll have a similar effect.