Author Topic: seems weeping what looks like rust !  (Read 4716 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
seems weeping what looks like rust !
« on: January 22, 2011, 08:06:06 pm »

A while ago now when my engine was out i stripped back all the paint and seam sealer and got a mate to stich weld all the seems up, i was then very thorough in wire wheeling over all the seams that had been welded both sides of the seam inner and outer, i then used hammerite krust (which i now know is shit and i would advise any one to steer well clear) which was ment to turn kill any rust and prevent futher rust.
   Following this i then etch primed the seams and then used a pu seam sealer on them . I then continued to rub down and repaint my engine bay which was all fine.
  Untill i have now gone back to the car months later and i have found that in a few places i can see what looks like rust seeping through at the seems, its not like rust bubling away underneet or anything like that just looks like say rusty water is seeping out the paint work still looks fine and if i wipe over it with a cloth it cleans away and looks like new.
  It is possible that i didnt manage to get all the rust out between the seems as the wire wheel cane get inbetween the peices of metal where there sealed obviously but maybe some water did, and my garage can get damp especialy in the humid foggy weather we have had.
  So basicaly what  are your opinions on the options i have i realy realy don't fancy pull the motor back out and ripping up my pain work and trying to do it all over again especialy if it happes again which i feel it would as i realy did make a concerted effort to remove all flash rust from the welding. Is this baiscaly going to eat my car from inside out and kill my shell ?? Any one got any bright ideas to solve this , or Can somone reasure me its all going to be fine (highley unlikley!)
    Thanks to any one that takess the time to read my very long post, ill get some photos up tommorw in the light

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
Re: seems weeping what looks like rust !
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 12:34:39 pm »
If you're really serious about stopping rust you can get a cathodic inhibitor, but they're itr of £250. You can whip them off and fit to your next car though. I'm seriously thinking of fitting one myself; trouble is where's the £250. Maybe sell a kidney!

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 09:24:05 pm »

here's some photos, what's the deal with that inhibitor then do you attach it to the car or stick it in the garage ? Do they work realy well ??

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 10:40:36 pm »
I know two guys into classic cars who have these fitted and both swear by them. One of the cars was a bare metal rebuild and is now a daily driver. It's owner sees no problems after six years. He's using a CAT2 system, an Australian product from a crowd called www.roemarketing.com.au/ It's a simple instal that uses your car battery to operate it.
Having said that, better take a look at what others say about cathodic protection before you buy. There's a lot of negative stuff from people who sell paint, waxoyl etc. Maybe that's not surprising.
I'm still up for one though.

Offline the body genius

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 07:31:37 pm »
hello mate,i ve been in the bodywork industry for 20 years and i advise you to use cavity wax,firstly spray it along the seams where its weeping out so that it creeps in the exposed seams and seals any bare metal,[dont be shy with it] then wipe off any excess.secondly if you have a small compressor get you hands on a wax gun with a flexible lance on it,with this you can insert the lance in any available holes in your chassis legs pull the trigger and drench the the inside of your chassis legs in wax again this will creep and seal any available exposed metal or small gaps where two panels meet each other,the problem is with welding any bodywork after the manafacture process is that it burns any primer,paint,corrosion protection etc clean off and leaves a black sooty area of bare metal and if its in a panel where you cant get to it to clean it off it sits there rusting,so this is where cavity wax saves you.if you aint got a compressor get yourself plenty of aerosol cans of it and get as close to the area as you can,the mist from the spray will travel and stick to everthing.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 12:54:22 pm »
Brilliant I'll give that a go, will that prevent it rusting further ? Or just slow the process down ? Baiscaly should I now condem the shell wait till it falls apart and get a new shell or work with this one ad I intended on respraying it it the not to distant future. Thanks for the advise realy helpful mats

Offline the body genius

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 08:23:12 pm »
basically metal needs two things to rust,moisture and air.remove either on of these and you stop it rusting,the wax prevents moisture from coming into contact with the metal and also repels it.if your shell is in all round good nick then once you wax it then i cant see why you would need another shell.just make sure its structuraly sound ie no signs of extensive rusting then i see no reason why it wont last as long as you own it.another tip is spray it inside your qtr panels and inside your doors or any similar area ie a cavity panel,hence the name cavity wax.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 04:36:03 pm »
Thanks for that mate I'll get some cavity wax asap, where's best place to get it from and anything inparticular I should look for when buying it or is it all the same ?

Offline the body genius

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 09:59:38 pm »
the wax lance posted will be spot on,i normally use wurth products coz you just cant go wrong with their stuff in any way or form. get waxing my man!!

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 10:19:52 pm »
Ok will get waxing !! I don't understand how moisture has got in though as app the seams I could get to both inside and out and I did put seam sealer on nth sides of the seam buy I will clean the surface rust off and spray wax every where and see how I get on, I just assumed seam sealer does the same job as the wax the main places where it's weeping seems to be around the turret seams which I made sure I sealed up after cleaning them with a wire wheel. Thanks again beenreapy helpful