Author Topic: Brakes  (Read 2231 times)

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
Brakes
« on: January 05, 2011, 10:16:44 am »
Is there much difference between the G40 brake calipers and the standard 1.3 Brakes, seeing as im doing a conversion into my 1.3 bready im wondering if the brakes are a good upgrade or if they are the same? as im unsure of what the difference is between them.

Or is it the master cylinder that makes the difference

Cheers

Gav
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 10:19:58 am by gavin.starr »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Brakes
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 10:25:54 am »
non-g40 ones aren't vented, you definitely want vented at the very least.  Standard g40 brakes are bad enough, you don't want anything worse.

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 11:42:59 am »
okeydokey fella

ive only got the standard 13 inch steelies on it at the mo. Im pretty sure its going to fail its MOT due to the brakes at the moment.

I have read a few coments on people that have done the 256mm brake conversion off the GTI and vectra's are there any other recomendations that would fit under my 13's as i cant afford to be buying new wheels to suit brakes at the moment.

There is a for sale add at the mo with the G40 setup for 100 notes so i may enquire about them then.

Cheers

Gav

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 01:14:56 pm »
bar the g40/mk1 golf gti VWII caliper upgrade, the only choice for 13s is a set of 4-pots, even then you may be limited to wheel choice, due to the size of the calipers and internal design of the wheel itself.

14s and above are the only choice for decent OEM brakes.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 02:06:42 pm »
just stick with the 239mm discs and VWII calipers for 13" wheels.  The calipers arent g40 specific, nearly all VWs of all shapes and sizes came with VWII calipers in the 80s and early 90s, it should be harder to find a scrapyard that doesn't have a set in than one that does (although the wonderful scrappage scheme may have changed that slightly now).  £100 isnt bad if it includes a decent set of discs and pads with lots of life in them still but if it's just for calipers on their own then it's very expensive indeed. 

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 04:05:17 pm »
Just PM'd them about the brakes, comes with calipers, disks, pads and braided lines if they can get them off. Its the first Parts for sale add on here that has them for sale