Author Topic: lowering springs?  (Read 1799 times)

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
lowering springs?
« on: December 11, 2010, 09:36:14 pm »
Hi guys, looking at buying lowering springs for the g40 but what am not sure on is this.  The springs are for normal mk 3  and it says u would require shorter shocks to fit but as we know the g40 is lower to start with so will i still need shorter shocks to fit the springs? The springs are stated as 60/40 drop. I hope not because i have avo adjustable shocks already.

cheers grant

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
Re: lowering springs?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 09:51:15 pm »
I had the same problem ; an AVO adjustable kit with 30mm drop springs, probably for standard mk2/3. Bought this 2nd hand with fronts un-used. Fitted it was shit, the AVO's dont have short rods and with even 30mm drop there was play in the setup. Had to flog the AVO's and buy shorter stroke dampers. Bummer!

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 10:25:58 pm »
Were the avo shocks the same length as the standard ones john because when mine came and i tried to fit them i could build the struts up without compressing the springs, 60mm differance at full stroke. contacted avo directly and the man on the phone said they didnt make ones for the g40 however they remachined a set 60mm shorter for me and gave me thoose, they were really helpful actually.

But just to add to the confusion the shocks i removed were yellow so have no idea what they were but pretty sure the springs were standard tho because the were paint marked with the yellow and orange dots.

Any thoughts?

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 08:38:06 pm »
Glad to hear you got good service from AVO mate. I tried them twice; told it would cost more than the  shocks were worth to machine the rods by first contact,then told it would be dangerous to shorten the rods by a proper twat I got at the second attempt. Yes, the OAL of the AVO's was same as the standard rod (wet strut) and you might have had a set of Koni Yellows inserts. They have some sort of valving if I remember right.