Author Topic: Bits of rubber on the intercooler mesh?  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
Bits of rubber on the intercooler mesh?
« on: December 09, 2010, 03:00:35 pm »
While i had the car up on the ramp at the weekend and had an inspection around stuff.
anyways, i found a slither or rubber on the intercooler mesh with tiny bits or rubber on the charger inlet, as if a seal had just been skimmed up by something. (it deffo isnt the CO2 pot seal like the thread the other day aha) any idea what it could be?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Bits of rubber on the intercooler mesh?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 03:42:25 pm »
could be parts of an oil seal in charger, if scroll seals pop out slightly the counterbalance weight can chew them up (and they can chew the balance weight up) or potentially anything the charger has picked up through the inlet

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 04:11:33 pm »
could be parts of an oil seal in charger, if scroll seals pop out slightly the counterbalance weight can chew them up (and they can chew the balance weight up) or potentially anything the charger has picked up through the inlet

Hmm, could that weaken the seal much or cause any major damage?
Cant see anything that big being sucked through the paper filters i use, then again had throttle bodies on and off quite a lot atm road testing butterflies, hopefully not any major damage!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 04:46:21 pm »
if it is an oil seal - it means its partially blown anyway - are you getting any weeping?

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 05:08:52 pm »
there is a good puddle of oil in the inlet manifold - though i always thought it was breathing heavy. had a rebuild about 20-25k ago. running custom toothies so its probs at the upper limit of rpm

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 05:23:19 pm »
also, had the one way valve off the breather pod the other day too and i think it might be broken, i can blow through it both ways - is it supposed to do that?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 05:29:53 pm »
25k probably at upper limit of service on toothies...  I've seen ones with 12k on them and the bearings are shagged (nick siggy) all depends how its driven.

could be breathing heavy, could be the charger oil seal weeping.  With oil seal - you get oil, not oil vapour, which tends to be oily watery crap - if you've seen in a catch tank - its a horrid emulsified mess.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 07:05:38 pm »
Definitely time for a rebuild if it's done 25k on a 65mm pulley.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 09:51:19 pm »
Definitely time for a rebuild if it's done 25k on a 65mm pulley.
not sure what the equivalent size of this pulley is germans use a 24 tooth for a 62mm and 65mm pulley, must be pretty brutal, custom pulleys for the win though.
trying to find a supplier for aluminum pulleys - anyone know who did PSD's for them?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 02:06:41 pm »
either way 62 or 65 - i'd service it!