Author Topic: Replacing all bushes on the car  (Read 1950 times)

Offline miller 666

• Members
Replacing all bushes on the car
« on: November 21, 2010, 05:08:12 pm »
Hello all
First post on here so be gentle  ;)
I've got a mk3 polo coupe I picked up off ebay for £150 last week with a mint shell but engine has had it. Also picking up a g40 this week for the sum of £1400 but the body is looking shabby.
Looking to completly rebuild the car as its going to be a daily driver so want it to drive as well as possible. Previously I had a mk2 golf with coilover and the ride was horrible, really choppy and it was all over the place. What im planning to do here is renew all of the worn bushes etc with poly ones where I can. Have seen the powerflex ones, can anyone recommend anywhere I can pick up a complete set for a G40? Have also found the ARB blocks from G ladersite (spelling), any idea on how long they will take to arrive to the UK? Suspension wise, currently looking as the adjustable spax SPX shocks I think they are with a set of springs to drop it about 70mm. Only problem I have is I cant seem to find a set for the G40, any advice? Its going to be running on a set of 14" BBS RA's running toyo t1r's 195/55/14 I think they are.

Looking to complete the rebuild before christmas, ambitious I know but Ive got some time off soon and need it done.
Many thanks in advance!
Cheers

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: Replacing all bushes on the car
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 09:07:31 pm »
Personally I'd not run the powerflex bushes in the TCA where the ARB bolts through- I've seen a few pairs of these split over time now, which really isn't what you want to happen.

I'd try to find a genuine set of G40 TCA (they have a rose jointed inner bearing) and then get the G-Ladersite whole front kit (outer TCA bushes and ARB Blocks), cheap, works well too.

If it's for road use and you're not bothered about it being slammed, the best rides I've felt are a full KW lowering kit (not cheap) and a close second koni yellows and eibach springs.

Yoof
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 07:08:00 am by Yoof »

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 09:15:37 pm »
I had a spax kit on my first G and it was far too hard, once I swapped the springs for some apex ones it was much better.

You need 185 50 14's or 195 45 14's too ideally.

Offline miller 666

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 10:00:44 pm »
Thanks for the replys
I have a set of G40 TCA's so thats alright. Do you know how long it takes for the bushs from G.laderseite to be delivered to the UK as I need to get it done ASAP. Will look into the Koni dampers and eibach springs now. Also I perhaps didnt word it great. Not looking for a slammed ride more of a practical one with a good look as I have to go over some very bumpy roads across the moors on the way to work and in my golf with coilies I got airbourne over 60...
Have seen a couple of 60/40 setup's and they look nice, would be nice to have the dampening adjustment though as I can set it up at work properly.
So to be brief, from your experiance:
Full bush set from G.laderseite inc ARB blocks
Koni dampers with a set of Eibach springs, possibly 60/40
Looking to do the top mounts and the rear beam bushes as well, is it best to use orignal items here?

Many thanks

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 10:49:55 pm »
G ladersite stuff normally takes a couple of days I think, I believe its generally under a week, its been a while since I ordered anything from them.

If you are having the suspension off then yeah do the top mounts as they are cheap and crap and dont last long anyway so may as well do them whilst they are off. Rear beam bushes are best left stock yeah, VW only items I believe.

Offline miller 666

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 11:18:05 pm »
Thats great help!
Will get an order in with G.laderseite tomorrow after work then and get me some new top mounts and rear beam bushes from VW.
Suspension wise looking at buying the Spax SPX shocks then possibly putting some eibach springs on as the Spax springs arnt made for a G40 for some reason  ???
So for the minute thats the setup Im looking at. Will update the thread with some pics of the car/s at some point.
Thanks once again

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 11:52:18 pm »
The Spax springs should fit fine, but would work out at a 55mm drop as the G40 is already 15mm lower than lesser mk3 Polos. Perhaps that's why they aren't listed for a G40.

Offline miller 666

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 12:50:40 am »
Right then, got my g40 sat on axle stands ready to be stripped down. Whipped all the wheels off to find Ive already got H&R shocks and springs on the back. Anyone know where I can get just the 2 front H&R shocks and springs? Can only find them as a set :(

Cheers