Author Topic: Eating wheel bearings?  (Read 2437 times)

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
Eating wheel bearings?
« on: November 03, 2010, 03:38:29 pm »
Had 2 new front bearings last year (put them in with a hydraulic press while the shocks where off the car). One is already getting real noisy again and in my folder of history I have several receipts for several pairs of new ones in the last 10 years. They were pattern ones from linco and not VW parts. are these just not up to scratch?
another theory is my suspension is v. harsh - could this be wearing them out quicker due to more load / shock / vibration going through them?

Thanks!

Offline cheys03

• Members
Re: Eating wheel bearings?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 03:47:08 pm »
Are you very low (without camber adjustment)? Running wide wheels and/or big spacer plates? All will put increased load on the bearings. How many miles do you cover?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 04:09:21 pm »
Use VW ones, pattern ones are well known for not lasting five minutes, they're a false economy in this case.

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 04:47:22 pm »
yup pattern ones are dog shit, fitted some in my time and they die in no time

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 07:22:53 pm »
By going wider wheels or spacers etc, its pulls the pivot point of the suspension pick up point out abit in physics terms so increased load/stress on bearing.  Our MK2 used to eat them.

other than that, and pattern wheel bearing are dog poo, also worth thinking your hub is not worn?

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 06:23:57 pm »
By going wider wheels or spacers etc, its pulls the pivot point of the suspension pick up point out abit in physics terms so increased load/stress on bearing.  Our MK2 used to eat them.

other than that, and pattern wheel bearing are dog poo, also worth thinking your hub is not worn?
Standard wheels ect. hubs should only be about 8 years old cause thats when a previous owner got some FK springs and shocks on (shockingly stiff)