Author Topic: 1992 Polo G40 - Metallic Grey  (Read 17566 times)

Offline Turbodaily

• Members
Re: 1992 Polo G40 - Metallic Grey
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 11:35:14 pm »
Boost sounds a little low to me, mine goes straight to 10psi then rises to 11-12. And i think mine isnt right either, charger hasnt been refreshed for a couple of years. Check for boost leaks first though maybe? Block the boost return with your hand whilst on idle and listen for any hissing

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 02:32:15 am »
will do mate, ta. the charger was rebuilt by jason only 4 months ago, so ill check tomorrow for boost leaks. need to order a couple of spare belts and some ptfe spray as well. now covered just over 600 miles and spray some in today, will drop the oil after another circa 1k

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 07:54:51 am »
I'm unfamilar with G40s, but couldn't your engine mods reduce boost pressure by gaining flow? i.e Ported/flowed head, GT manifold port matched to head, 51mm throttle body..?

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 06:11:17 pm »
I mapped a G40 a month or so ago that had a Schrick cam, BV head and GT inlet - with a freshly rebuilt stage 4 'charger that was making about 10psi of boost, so it sounds about right.

Offline Turbodaily

• Members
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 06:21:25 pm »
Surely it should boost to around 10psi almost instantly though? and not have to rise with the rpm as much?
I know mine is pretty much instant, and i have near identical spec to safs as well.

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 10:06:40 pm »
cheers andy thats good to know, and cheys, that sounds like the correct theory, ive read similar in some of jasons old posts.

turbodaily dude - ill have to have a proper play when its dry, i think it would boost straight to ten under full throttle, but ive only had a couple of dry roads and mild wetness. im not complaining tho, as being able to drive it with low boost means i can actually use the power, rather than spinning up the wheels boosting at 10!

what are your specs anyway and have you had yours on a rollers? im tres curious, and also mad looking forward to the spring. i bought my first g40 in autumn and ran it as a daily then, and sold it late february, not your first thought for a winter daily, but i loved it none the less!

reason i was worried about it saying 10-10.5 psi was some of jasons old posts saying things like it was boosting at 17psi?! but thats 1 bar is it not? i may be wrong in what im about to say but i think the g chargers put out 0.7 bar in standard guise, so the figures of 17 psi (1 bar) i think may have been with the RPM smaller pulley and without the headwork/gt inlet.

ive sent him a pm anyway with lots of questions so hopefully he will get a chance to reply when he gets a break from the younguns =]

Offline Turbodaily

• Members
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 09:46:13 pm »
My engine spec at the moment is:

76mm wossner forged pistons (1310cc?)
ported and flowed head
Thin metal headgasket
51mm throttle body
Gt inlet
G60 injectors
Psd chip
Bar-tek 62mm toothed belt kit, with custom extra tensioner
Newman 276 cam (? cant rember the code! lol)
Front mount intercooler
Mocal oil cooler
Baffled steel sump
Boost return mod
K&N airfilter and G60 boost pipe
Full blend psd charger
Catch tank  :P ;)
Psd Manifold
2.5''  exhaust system with side exit, 2 silencers

Havent had it rr'd lately, but the last time i had it done back in 2007 it made 176bhp at engine advantages in essex, then at the clubpolo rr day 08(?) at aldon it made 169 i think.
But it has since been rebuilt again with a few more of the mods listed above.
So im hoping after a good custom map at some point after ive rebuilt the charger gthis month, it will make 180-ish. Can but hope! lol

I was led to believe (by steve pit) that a 65 mm pulley should make it boost to 15psi (my cousins 1341 does this), i have a 62mm pulley, no boost leaks etc, yet it doesnt go above 11psi. So im gonna rebuild it and hope i find a few more psi's!

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 09:59:26 pm »
ahhhh were pretty close then, bar the FMIC and forged pistons. (and the catch tank haha!)

stuck my hand over the BRV today and no leaks anywhere, refitted the air filter hose to the charger and its definatly far better,need to cut the hose in two places so it fits snugly by the two socket cap bolts that hold the charger inlet piece on.

i think with a non-ported head, inlet and tb, it would boost higher, for the reasons by Chris above, but if you do manage to squeeze any more power out of it let me know! will measure up the charger pulley tomorrow to find out what it is!

should be nice to get them both on the rollers in jan and find out what they are both doing! checked the paperwork and the schrick cam ive got it a 272.

woop woop, yeh id be happy with 180!

deffo think ill be sticking the FMIC on in the near future!

Offline Turbodaily

• Members
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2010, 12:52:25 am »
Yeah it should be intresting mate, looking forward to it! Maybe im being abit optamistic with the bhp lol, but i would be well happy with 180 but prob end up around the 170 mark again!
My mate cy is bringing his grey one with pretty much the same spec too, bar a few bits. Literally building a fresh forged bottom end for it now so it should be in, and run in by then.

What fmic you got out of intrest? Ive got a frontera 2.3 tdi intercooler on mine! lol. fits perfect though, just the right size. Maybe that will also cause a drop in my boost pressure? larger space to fill?

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2010, 05:45:41 pm »
It's off a BMW 320d apparently, got a bmw sticker on it anyway. should be the right size to sit snugly around the rad. todays been a good day as the roads have been quite dry and the airs been cold, been top fun brapping it about. who's your mate with the fresh 1341. shoud be well tasty. andys breadvan was absolutely hooning everything at the strip!

not sure about the intercooler dropping boost pressure with a bigger space, my readings of 10-11 are with the standard. nice to know you have forged pistons tho so you can fit and forget about melty melty!

dude anything over 170 is rapido! roll on jan!

Offline Turbodaily

• Members
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 09:39:39 pm »
My mate ctothey on clubpolo, also on here but rarely. We did a full resto on his a couple of years back,also refreshed the motor with rings etc, but its on 235k at the mo, crank is worn so has low oil pressure. Had a 58 lump with a melted piston so we rebuilding that to 1341 and plonking it in. Crank is mint on this so its all good.

Should be a very intresting day to say the least!

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2010, 08:48:06 pm »
woop woop rolling road day next week =]

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 09:57:49 pm »
well today was interesting!

went to a rolling road day at awesome GTI, as its only around the corner, was hoping for circa 165bhp.

impressed with the results, less so with the staff. Granted I should have told them not to red-line it, I assumed they would know that G-laders arent designed to hit the limiter. apparently they had done the same with a Mk2 golf G60 earlier in the day. Anyway they did indeed hit the limiter and we were greeted oil shooting out of the oil breather! it was definatly not from the boost release valve, and the charger is always well lubricated (2 secs of pfte in each inlet at 2k rpm every 500 miles) so i think it was just due to heavy breathing. it does breath heavily anyway, it was apparently a 100k engine, rebuilt 28k ago, (original engine replaced at 150k, car now on 178k)

anyway pushed the car out, cleaned up all the oil, checked the levels and topped up, drove it home gently and doesnt seem to have sprayed anything else out. oil looks clean and is 15w40. grrr

anyway figures

Run 1

ATF:-     169.70 Bhp
ATW:-    145.56 Bhp
Torque:- 136.87 ft-lbs

Run 2

ATF:-     170.17 Bhp
ATW:-    149.19 Bhp
Torque:- 141.33 ft-lbs

Offline grungeisdead

• Members