Author Topic: Cam fitting  (Read 3968 times)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Cam fitting
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 03:21:48 pm »
no, I'm referring to cam bearing cap nuts too!!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 03:45:42 pm »
well they do have an angle tighten figure.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 04:16:41 pm »
I never said they didn't  ???

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 06:16:34 pm »
On this topic two questions, first is is the camshaft sproket bolt a stretch bolt and need renewing on reassembly ? Second is slightly off topic but are timing discs generic or specific, any good makes people know of or any old one do ?
    Oh and not sure but don't new camshafts need running in at 2k rpm for a while not sure if it's a brand new cam you've get jezza thinking it is though.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 06:45:11 pm »
Yeah mine is barnd new.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 08:04:06 pm »
Was thinking about the timing on this earlier and i dont have a gun for the timing. If im taking it for a remap is it worth changing the cam using haynes manual etc and then leaving the timing for the fella to do?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 08:07:00 pm »
they are 6nm then 90 degree tighten!

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 08:20:22 pm »
they are 6nm then 90 degree tighten!

Thanks pete  :)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2010, 06:42:29 am »
On this subject I intend to be timing my new engine up this weekend. Now I've got a good idea how to do it just wanted to check n see if I am correct so..
    First attach timing disc, then using either a dial guage or a strip of steel secured across the deck with a bolt in as a positive stop wind the piston up untill it stops on the bolt record how Many degreess on disc then wind forwards untill it does the same, middle point between these is true tdc(add together divide by 2). Then rotate to that number on the disc. Undo the disc and zero it.
    I'm assuming the cam is fully fitted and torqued up at this point.Also do the hydraulic lifters have any impact on this measurement if they have been left in oil as mine has they should be full of oil ?? A friend of mine who does drag racing in a big way says you have to get an old tappet and open it up and put a bolt or shim or weld in there to stop any deflection it might have is this true ? Anyway dial guage on the head (steel strip on the head) measuring off the top of the tappet rotate the cam untill full lift at the middle of the dwell point as best as possible. Stick the belt on and tighten it up, then rotate the crank untill just before full lift on inlet one say 0.1 mm for example then record the number on the timing disc then rotate crank other way untill the same 0.1mm on dial appears and record timing disc number. Add together divide by two give you middle point wich is true full lift, adjust using the vernier pulley to get timing figure in my case 110 degrees at full lift on the inlet .
     Is this all correct ? Main questions are is there a standard advance I need to add to my 110 degrees of 5 degrees or am I thinking of ignition advance ? And hydraulic lifters if soaked in oil prior do they affect maxiuim lift measurements ? Please correct me on any bits I've got wrong or any hints or tips would be ideal thanks 

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2010, 10:59:06 pm »
no one help me out with this ??

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 10:46:00 pm »
Just a quick one, looking at fitting the new oil seal, crank pulley side, and what way does it fit? i know to use a socket to tap it into place etc. Obviously when the cam caps are torque up.

like this

or this way

Offline xandyx

• Members
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2011, 02:23:59 am »
the first pic is the right way!

as the spring lip must be inside to seal the oil pressure. the same as gcharger seals.

greetings
andré

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2011, 09:39:35 am »
Thankyou very much andre!  :)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 06:42:47 pm »
Right, i fitted my cam today. Went by the haynes manual all the way so no mistakes were made.

Bought a teng 5nm-25nm torque wrench and it was perfect for the job, especially for the angle tightening as the degrees was on the head.

Only thing i had trouble with was the correct torque for the no 5 cam cap bolts that go on after the angle tightening as i couldn't find it in the haynes. I did them to 6nm.

Fitted the seal correctly, was easy as well. Didn't need to use a socket as with oil around the lips it slid on well. Will double check though to make sure its fully in.

Also whats the purpose of this hole here? Allow oil to dizzy internal?