Author Topic: rebuilding my charger  (Read 2789 times)

Offline newt

• Members
rebuilding my charger
« on: October 14, 2010, 09:54:27 pm »
im am now in the process of part rebuilding my charger, basically one of the scroll oil seals burst , probably just gona a bit hard from heat,
im gonna replace the apex seals, scroll bearing and all 5 oil seals, to be fair all bearings are fine, just doing the scroll one to be on the safe side, the charger will also get a full degrease and i will "clean" up some of the port work it has had, basically smooth off some of the edges where possible 8)

my question is , has any one got any pics of the main shaft?, mine has some slight scoring from the seals,
the scoring is nice and smooth although you can detect it if you run your finger across it
can post pics if need be , is this something to worry about?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: rebuilding my charger
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 10:24:53 am »
a small groove is normal. the spring in the seal normally overcomes that!

Offline newt

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 09:40:53 pm »
ok thanks,

Offline newt

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 09:57:29 pm »
also, another question, when i put the scroll in an oven to release the main scroll bearing, what happens to the smaller  scroll "pivot" bearing, does it get damaged by the heat, there is no mention about replacement?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 12:23:03 pm »
these are hardly ever replaced, they stand up to heat quite well tbh and remain int he charger.  I use an oven so 130 degrees is nothing compared to oil temps/temps next to exhaust etc it'll be getting.

FAG ones are obsolete, but you can now get them from german sites for about £50 each.

Offline newt

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 10:39:36 pm »
these are hardly ever replaced, they stand up to heat quite well tbh and remain int he charger.  I use an oven so 130 degrees is nothing compared to oil temps/temps next to exhaust etc it'll be getting.

FAG ones are obsolete, but you can now get them from german sites for about £50 each.

ever thought about the oil temp,
does hat little bearing just need "packing " with grease as it doesnt seem to be lubricated in any way
thanks

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 10:42:31 pm »
i do put a little bit of the kluber in... but that bearing is sprung, so too much and the scroll wont seat right.