Author Topic: best rebuild parts  (Read 3006 times)

Offline xandyx

• Members
best rebuild parts
« on: October 15, 2010, 02:20:02 am »
as the charger is one of the most maintained part on a G, which parts do you guys think are the best in the market?

if each one, with some mechanical knowledge can rebuild a charger, lets see what experience dealing with those parts can tell!

lets get an opinion about:
-best/worst bearings
-best/worst seals
-best/worst strips

and talk about the price of each part, and where to buy.

charger parts are not indestructable, but we want to know whats the best arround

i see that peteg40 has a decent charger rebuilt kit for sale, and certainly he will send a kit for me really soon. i see that all his parts have a great quality and it has an affordable price.

i think the hardest quality part to find are the seals, and lot of people complain about NAK seals. have you ever had a problem with them?

i know that there's a lot of topics about glader but none of it is totally specific about brands.

thanks for your time

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: best rebuild parts
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 10:29:23 am »
i'm biased tbh

but the seals - black ones tend to be nitrile - and therefore 10x cheaper than brown ones which are viton compound.  Scroll seals in the right depth are hard to get hold of - too wide and they dont seal right, too narrow and they easily blow.

bearings - well known branded makes, of the right type.  the end bearing is brass caged and therefore 3x more expensive than the plastic caged varient, which many ebay kits have to save costs.

as for apex seal strips - i've seen some brittle, oversized and generally poorly cut ones.  you need a compromise between too soft and it wears into a past and too hard and it wears the charger.  The last ebay kit i saw, they were over sized width wise and had to be rammed in the groove.  I use the company that make em for vw in 1994 in all the last chargers.  The 'motorsport' vw apex seals.... well why would vw make apex seals in 2010?????

Offline xandyx

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 01:03:11 pm »
great to hear that from someone with experience!

thanks a lot for you reply pete!

do you think it worth to spent more in a torrington central bearing, or iko as the same quality?

greetings

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 08:05:00 am »
Pete, how do you understand that the apex seals are top quality? From colour?

Offline Raw

• Members
  • It ain't dubbin 'less her thighs are rubbin'
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 09:36:55 pm »
I think the only way he can tell which are the best is the way they feel on his bum. He put's them between his bum cheeks like a G-string/thong and then slowly pulls them out past his scrotum. In this way he knows the correct dimensions, shore hardness and quality of cutting.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 10:07:25 am »
+1 Applaud.  ;D

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 10:41:41 am »
apex seals - by where they come from - 'beige' ones are normally from sintimid who supplied vw back in the day, they are flexible and measure up  to tolerance. 

I've taken 'new' apex seals out of a charger before and they've been well below wear levels before!!!

as for centre bearings - i've never had a problem with iko/INA centre bearings

Offline Raw

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 03:02:41 pm »
My bad.

I guess I'm the only one using my bum crack as inspection equipment. You ought to see the reaction I get when I take in for calibration. And those master slips are cold even at 21 degrees.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 05:44:39 pm »
Andy- do they use a bore ring to check your tolerances too?

Offline Raw

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 11:16:41 pm »
Lol, I reckon we could keep this going all week.

Yes they use a master ring to set the bore gauge, which is then used to confirm linearity over a full cycle. All Equipment is traceable to national standards.