Author Topic: engine conversion or not !!!!!!!  (Read 1112 times)

Offline polomad

• Members
engine conversion or not !!!!!!!
« on: October 15, 2010, 08:40:34 am »
right i have now got a mk2 gold 2.0 gti,how hard will this be to put into my mk3 polo ??

do i need to have modified engine mounts and where can i can these made ?

is there any point in doing it? 

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: engine conversion or not !!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 09:40:24 am »
big blocks don't fit in mk3 polos without a hell of a lot of work.  Just put a g40 engine in, 100x easier and more powerful.

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 12:26:57 pm »
Couple of conversions done in Germany and Holland, and one in Uk that i know of.  Not a popular conversion as Haysesy has said, too much to do and also heavy engine.  Can be done of course.  You start to lose the lightweightyness point of the polo.  Boat + Anchor!  Really need to be a short block engine to use in a polo as opposed to tall block and even taller block (ABF) with the Golfs.  It can be made to handle, GVK proved this with his mk2 golf VR6 track car.

If staying NA, recommend a 1400 16v AFH or a 1600 16v Polo Gti engine.   Polo Gti engine is iron block, lupo GTi is aluminium but issue with starter motor bolt locations IIRC, maybe wrong.  Plenty of info on ClubPolo.  i believe the AFh 1400 head will fit directly to the Polo GTi 1600 block - better flowing head and not roller rockers.

FI wise  - stick a G40 engine in.

Offline polomad

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 02:32:49 pm »
okk where can i get a good enough g40 engine then peeps?

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 04:25:18 pm »
There's one on eBay at the moment, though milage is not provable and no supercharger.
Otherwise you're in the right place here - check the For Sale section for conversions or cars being broken.
www.clubpolo.co.uk sometimes has conversions too. Fairly rare but still see 'full' conversions come up for sale, probably once a month on average.