Author Topic: Polo NZ Turbo?  (Read 1252 times)

Offline jimmyb1982

• Members
Polo NZ Turbo?
« on: September 29, 2010, 08:06:24 pm »
A crazy friend of mine is on about turboing his NZ. I've told him to do the following first:

- High flow panel filter
- 51mm TB butterfly
- GT top end
- 4 branch manifold and stainless steel exhaust system
- NZ remap

What would he need on top of that to run a small low blow turbo. I've heard the MK4 Polo has a metal head gasket which could be used to space the head? What about management, injectors, cam and sensors - would he need G40 items for that?

Its a crazy idea I know but what do you guys think he will need and what is the smallest sized turbo avaliable?

- Jimmy B

Offline sinister polo

• Members
  • drive it like u stole it
Re: Polo NZ Turbo?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 08:27:23 pm »
not worth the agro!
it would be much cheaper and more reliable to use a g40 engine, they are designed to handle boost!

Offline jimmyb1982

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 08:47:35 pm »
I thought it might be lol.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 08:57:28 pm »
NZ already has a decent size throttle as it is two plates likes a gt.  Not sure swapping the head would give any gains either, putting the cam in should get a gt-spec head. They are lower CR than a gt so mint get away with a bit more boost. A mk4gasket will raise CR a bit though so I'd leave the standard one in.

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 09:03:10 pm »
I'm currently gathering the parts for an AAV turbo which is basically the same bare engine as the NZ, just with SPI instead of MPI injection. Same 9.5:1 compression.

Have a look here:
http://www.polog40.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4708.0.html
For a rough foundation.

I'm going down the K03 route, because it's tried, tested, relatively cheap and there are lots of parts available. It'll run G40 management with a chip from PPP to start with, probably a custom remap once I'm comfortable with a boost figure - starting around 5-7psi on recommendation from the forum. I'm sure at some point the boost will be increased incrementally until something pops - to find the limit. Hopefully it'll just be the head gasket.

However...when you add it up you're not saving much by keeping the NZ/AAV over a G40 conversion minus the charger.