Author Topic: Paddle Clutches  (Read 2408 times)

Offline pettsy

• Members
Paddle Clutches
« on: September 22, 2010, 07:22:55 pm »
Im in need of a replacement clutch for my G as its started slipping on boost. I was under the impression my car allready had a paddle clutch fitted as it was very heavy and was pretty much on or off but when the box was removed during the 1341 work it looked like a standard vw clutch!

I've read lots of the clutch posts on here, but wondered if anyone can give some advice whos actually using one? I don't mind spending the £ for a decent bit of kit. Car is mainly a weekend toy and will hopefully do the odd trackday.

Pettsy

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Re: Paddle Clutches
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 08:31:27 pm »
Depends on tourque your running realy give cg motorsport a call I just got a new clutch from them pretty helpfull I spoke the the engineer there who seem to know his stuff. Reasonable prices aswell.
As for paddle or organic it's up to you if you drive in town alot or enjoy parking easily then get organic if you intend on giving you clutch a beating regularly get a paddle n live with the consequences !

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 10:01:49 pm »
i blew a cg one to bits if your running deceent powe go with a helix they have been proven on all the high power G40's

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 06:14:45 am »
Hope mine doesn't disinetgrate !!

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 09:16:21 am »
How much are helix clutches? Im looking at sach's ones at the mo for around £320.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 10:58:54 am »
Helix paddle, uprated cover plate and new release bearing should be about £300.  Worth it's weight in gold, I've given mine some right abuse and it keeps coming back for more.  Including bathing it in gearbox oil when an input shaft seal went.  Once I'd replaced the gearbox I "fixed" the clutch by finding a quiet motorway, putting into 5th gear, putting my foot down and letting it slip till it burnt the oil off, has been spot-on ever since inc at track days, doubt a lesser quality item would stand up to that.

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 10:59:27 am »
I got a helix organic one at the moment, its coped with 190bhp+ for the past 5k miles however it has started to slip at high torque load speeds.

Offline demolover

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 11:11:55 am »
Have a helix organic on mine and its great to drive with and have no problems with slippage and it has some miles on it.

Have a receipt for it for around the £300 mark.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 11:17:45 am »
Sounds like there good for money. I think i will have a look for a helix clutch instead. Any website thats good to order from?

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 06:05:06 pm »
Tsr bridgewater qutoed me £250 with club gti discount for helix organic I can see if they'll still do it for me if you want mate let me know when you want.

As for helix vs cg motorsport i know you get what you pay for to a point but I know nick s runs a cg 4 paddle and he's putting out decent power with more aggressive tourque delivery than my turbo setup will so I think it will be fine I think lances mishap with the centre snapping out is hopefully a freak accident.they are  £100 cheaper aswell so that helps. But you pays your money you takes your choices so time will tell for quality.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 06:14:46 pm by dub-disaster »

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 07:06:27 pm »
Yep my CG paddle has been fine (touch wood) even not that bad in traffic tbh. It's done about 5k miles now, but i'll take a look at it when i do a gearbox change in the coming weeks.

Lance, I think yours were a bit of a test mule for CG. Remember the guy telling me you sent it back to them broke :D
Just let them know expected bhp/torque figures you will put it through.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 07:12:06 pm by Nick_S »

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 07:24:08 pm »
yea well once they uprated it even more it was fine, its now in tommos turbo beast so it must be good haha

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 07:38:02 pm »
Tsr bridgewater qutoed me £250 with club gti discount for helix organic I can see if they'll still do it for me if you want mate let me know when you want.

As for helix vs cg motorsport i know you get what you pay for to a point but I know nick s runs a cg 4 paddle and he's putting out decent power with more aggressive tourque delivery than my turbo setup will so I think it will be fine I think lances mishap with the centre snapping out is hopefully a freak accident.they are  £100 cheaper aswell so that helps. But you pays your money you takes your choices so time will tell for quality.

That will come in handy i think!