Author Topic: oil pressure guage issue.  (Read 3843 times)

Offline demolover

• Members
oil pressure guage issue.
« on: September 10, 2010, 05:31:34 pm »
Right i have an oil pressure gauge in the G40 and today it has decided to start playing up.  Sits Dead in the centre and does not move as the oil heats up/cools down/or when driving it hard.  Checked the wires that lead from the back of the gauge to the back of the head and there doesn't seem tyo be an issue there.  Anyone got any ideas?  Is there any fuses that could be causing a problem or could the sender be fooked?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: oil pressure guage issue.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 05:34:44 pm »
Right i have an oil pressure gauge in the G40 and today it has decided to start playing up.  Sits Dead in the centre and does not move as the oil heats up/cools down/or when driving it hard.  Checked the wires that lead from the back of the gauge to the back of the head and there doesn't seem tyo be an issue there.  Anyone got any ideas?  Is there any fuses that could be causing a problem or could the sender be fooked?

Well it wont move if the temp of oil gets hotter/cooler as you said its a pressure gauge.

What make is it and what stlye on connection does it use?

Offline demolover

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 05:40:52 pm »
The oil pressure does go down though with the oil being warmer and higher pressure with the oil being colder is what i meant.  Not confusing the two.  I'll go and have a look at the gauges in a second.  Nothing special but were working a treat up until abround 30 mins ago.  Its an electrical gauge running from a sender not a mechanical one.

Thanks

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 05:42:45 pm »
Ah right, i know what you mean, mine does the same when hot/cold.

It could be the sender. Maybe try a new sender? merlin motorsport sell good ones by stack and a few other makes.

Offline demolover

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 06:02:56 pm »
urgh.  Obviously dont have a spare just laying around.  Other gauges all work fine and so i am guessing it is either the sender or the gauge unit itself.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 06:07:44 pm »
Whats the gauge make?

Offline demolover

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 06:42:52 pm »
Stewart warner!?!  No idea but were with the car when i got it and there is a reciept for them from demon tweeks in the receipt pile i have (although it looks as if they no longer stock them).

Problem is that they all match (jason did a lot of work to have it all looking nice) so would rather not have to replace all the gauges.

Just been back to the car after it cooling down.  The gauge sits at the middle still and raises slightly when you raise the revs some.  But not matter how warm the oil gets it only sits as low as the centre?!?  Seems to me like the sender might be foooked.  Yesterday was the hottest the car has been in my ownership due to a lot of travel in traffic.  Pretty sure my oil presasure isn't as high as the readings say.  Is there anyway to fix the sender or is it a case of buying another?  Senders are specific to the gauge are they not??

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 06:50:55 pm »

Offline demolover

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 06:56:34 pm »
That sender is for temperature i'm afraid.... we keep muddling this up lol.  Car should be fine to drive though i'm guessing (never had an oil gauge as standard).  Doesn't seem to be other oil pressure issues.  Oil blown out dipstick etc.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 06:58:40 pm »
lol oh yeah. There is a link to the website on the ebay page.

Offline demolover

• Members
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 07:13:59 pm »
That website is horrible to use :(

Bugger knows what to do. 

Offline demolover

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 02:05:40 pm »
Gauge is no showing all sorts of readings including flat zero when the car is sat at idle when warmed but i am guessing this is bollocks as the car has no othe symptoms, noise or anything and basically i think the gauge is playing silly buggers.  Going to try and give the sender a clean as it might sort it out!?!?  who knows. 

Offline demolover

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 01:24:17 am »
new gauge and sender ordered so should fix the issue.  Pretty sure its the sender.