Author Topic: Explaining what each fuel pipe does and where, help?  (Read 2533 times)

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
Explaining what each fuel pipe does and where, help?
« on: August 29, 2010, 12:36:34 pm »
right i am currently fitting a g40 fuelling system to a car with no lift pump, but still want to use the accumulator.

So i have traced where each on goes and what it does, but i am just unsure on the accumulator pipes.

My diagram traces them and shows where they go, all quite self explanatory.

PUPRLE - engine main feed from the accumulator
YELLOW - engine return to the accumulator

Now my only question is if i am taking the lift pump out of the equation (i am assuming the BLUE is the feed from the lift pump so this will now go to the direct feed from the tank) this leaves me with a accumulator with (the red outlet) free to go no where, now my petrol tank has a in and out, so will i be ok then connecting the RED outlet to the petrol tank return?

I Just want to double check really that i am not going to cause some really obvious cock up lol

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
Re: Explaining what each fuel pipe does and where, help?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 05:58:01 pm »
If your assumptions are ok then that should be OK Dan, but will the in-line pump not be hard pressed to make the initial lift?

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 06:45:18 pm »
well i have asked this same question to numerous people, and had mixed replies, i did intend on fitting a lift pump but my mechanic mate said it really is not needed as the lift pump working on the polo really is just a feed, i did intend on fitting just the inline pump, with no accumulator.

But now i look back at this i am thinking, how is the accumulator going to fill up with no feed?

man this is a real brain tickler.

the mk1 caddy gti ran with no lift pump so i could maybe just be easier using that set up, but that will not be easy to locate

hmmm

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 07:49:11 pm »
Probably need an initial prime and a one way valve to stop fuel draining back when the pump's not in operation.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 07:55:25 pm »
if its for caddy - why not look see what people with gti/g60 1.8t caddys do?

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 07:57:04 pm »
well again most just run a inline that sits below the tank, so technically always has a gravity feed.

but i just do not like idea of that!

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 10:21:11 pm »
Gravity won't flow the same amount of fuel as the lift pump though (given that pipe diameter remains equal).

I'd use the lift pump, it also has a valuable filter on it, make the stock G40 compelete system fit, then you know you'll not have problems.

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 12:09:45 am »
yeah my thoughts too, i am now tipped the way of a lift pump, much more work involved to fit it correctly mind you, but hey how hard can it be to weld a petrol tank lol cheers for the replies

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 10:33:46 am »
I agree with hoof. It "might" work without a lift pump but it's an expensive experiment if it goes wrong.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 08:15:17 pm »
"but hey, how hard can it be to weld a petrol tank"   I'm sure that's in the big book of famous last words.

Offline markg40

• Members
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 07:49:18 pm »
Heh! I know someone who tried! He got suspended from work for two weeks! Legend has it, the tank slammed into the ceiling and wedged there!