Author Topic: another charger belt snapped!  (Read 6588 times)

Offline wbaxter90

• Members
Re: another fucking charger belt snapped!
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 01:19:57 pm »
went looking for another belt, 2 places couldnt get a match or had a 1000 8m htd. . . yay! still no bloody car

Offline JIMMYP

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 11:26:55 pm »
looks to me like the belt aint man enough for the job. cus it looks to me like its the same as an old belt (even though it is new) and its perished like when people dont have timing belt changed at intervals and they go bang and u sometimes see the same thing the teeth have become seperated from the belt. u though bout measuring the length and seeing if the aftermarket can sort u out with a cambelt equivalent like from Gates or sumat? cause if the timing belt can take it surely the charger belt should to. or another thing thats just come to mind u aint got tight spots on the alternator? might b a bit random but it thats going tight it might b stressing the belt and damaging it.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 07:14:15 am »
an htd belt should be as strong as a timing belt and supplied by people like gates/optibelt etc.

I've seen cambelts used - but as they have different teeth profiles, they often wear the pullies and the teeth go sharp.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 09:55:46 am »
cambelts aren't right for charger belts, wrong tooth profile as pete said.

You're barking up the wrong tree blaming the belts, loads of people (myself included) used toothed pullies with those HTD belts for years with no issues.  I never had one snap on me, I just replaced them every couple of years as a service item.  This was using the very first batch of pullies PSD got made up in about 2001/2002.

I'd suggest the pullies aren't properly lined up.  Also, is the belt catching on the ARB mount?  G40 ones have a small cut out in them for the belts but you might need to make this a bit bigger with the toothed belt.

Offline wbaxter90

• Members
Re: another charger belt snapped!
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 06:16:39 pm »
i think its mainly to do with the garage over tightening it, am i meant to be able to twist it 90ish degrees? because mine was tense as fook! and the belt stretches on boost so could be the cause.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2010, 09:56:43 pm »
yeah I always did them the same tightness as a cambelt, so you can just twist it 90deg between thumb and finger.  Doesnt need to be as tight as the standard belts.

Offline wbaxter90

• Members
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2010, 10:10:08 pm »
yer think this is the problem, the stretch is just pulling the teeth apart because its to tight, i always assumed it was fine because the garage did it, but obviously not lol

Offline katabatic

• Members
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 12:39:39 pm »
I've had similar problems and now always buy my new belts from Pete/Club G to go with my PSD'd set up. The belts I've bought from Pete seem to be of a very good quality and, more to the point, consistent quality. The replacements I used to buy from Littlehampton seemed to be a different brand every time and once only lasted a couple of thousand miles!

I'd agree with previous comments about not over-tensioning the belt and I have a theory that the belts are not really designed to fit around such small diameter pulleys (cam and crank pulleys are both bigger diameter) and this could be a factor in early failure..........comments?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 12:42:16 pm by katabatic »