Author Topic: another charger belt snapped!  (Read 6590 times)

Offline wbaxter90

• Members
another charger belt snapped!
« on: July 17, 2010, 04:11:11 pm »
the first two i snapped was because my pulleys were shit alloy ones, but i thought that buying a solid steel set would at least make the belts last longer, i dont really rag my car either, so why are they snapping all the time, thats 3 in 3 months!? whats the best belt method to run? toothed belts reduce slips but im finding their not lasting very long lol any ideas? oh and i run 65mm pulleys
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 12:28:23 pm by SamG40 »

Offline AlexG40

• Members
Re: another fucking charger belt snapped!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 05:23:02 pm »
Are you over tightening them? I've only ever had one break in about 5 years of toothed belt use.

Offline wbaxter90

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 05:53:59 pm »
nope, the alloy ones wernt in line so thats the reason they were snapping but the steel kit was fine so why the hell did it snap this time? also ive noticed the small top pulley looks abits bent up around the edges? this was brand new just over a month ago!? im confused

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 03:11:38 pm »
what belts are you using?

Offline wbaxter90

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 10:37:27 am »
i was using the german one that came with my steel pulley kit, what should i be using?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 10:47:41 am »
well it needs to be one with the correct tooth profile, no idea what the one that came with your german one would have been.  PM PeteG40 and he can sell a correct one.  Also make sure you're not over tightening them, they don't need to be as tight as the standard v-belts.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 11:26:00 am »
the german pulley kits often use a 1000 length belt  - which we can't supply - only 1040 length

Offline quiksilver_jake

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 12:56:17 pm »
sounds like a similar kit to mine, runs a 1000 length belt and originally didnt line up i had to make them line up i've wrote it somewhere what i did, other wise pretty sure mine would have been throwing belts.

Jake

Offline wbaxter90

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 01:33:40 pm »
yay my luck just gets better, ive had nothing but problems with this car, ive spend lots of money replacing things with better things to stop things happening again and again but it doesnt seem to be working! what pulley kit do you guys recommend? i just want my car to last more than a week without fucking breaking or i will sell it

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 01:53:24 pm »
i prefer the psd phase 1 kits, hard as nails and fit well - and half the weight of the german steel ones.  But these aren't easy to find.

Offline quiksilver_jake

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 12:56:17 pm »
Just make the ones fit that youve got now? and just keep an eye out for a psd set up?...
Get some pics up of the pulleys.

Jake

Offline wbaxter90

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 06:22:21 pm »
right, i went and got the old belt and took some pics etc to help diagnose my problem,
first off the belt is as pete said, a 1000 8m HTD

and heres how that looked

the side looked like it had been doing some rubbing

and this kit and belt is like just over a month old!?

then noticed it looked abit grotty down there so hada look

is the pulley to close to the cover or am i worrying?

i took the cover off and you could see abit of rubbing

i want the cover off permanently! it looks so much better! is their any prob with doing this? i heard stones etc can fuck timing?

anyway, i then noticed my new steel pulley was somehow bent up in a few places!?!?!? how the hell does that happen?

and it was rather scratchy on the inside of the dents - enough to fook a belt
i would put my old pulley on but my garage said the old one was spaced out too much making the belt out of line, can i not just file it down to size? heres a pic of the old pulley

and last but not least, how do i tension the new belt when i change it? never done it before i know how to loosen the charger but what do i do next, i took a pic so someone could kinda point lol

sorry for all the pics etc but just need some help with this as its ruining my fooking life!

Offline wbaxter90

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 07:38:44 pm »
oh and you asked if i was over tightening them, i wasnt doing it garage was, i would say it was a tiny bit looser than the cam belt, that to tight?

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 08:32:22 pm »
You've got a little bit of oil kicking about down there, it could be contaminating the rubber in the belt and weakening it.

No idea why your pulley is bent unless someone has bent it fitting or removing it it's difficult to see how one would get like that.

I've always tightened mine like a cambelt, 90 degrees twist with thumb and finger in the middle of the longest stretch iirc.

Offline wbaxter90

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 11:47:58 am »
mite be the garage that bent it then  >:( its literally came brand new from a box to my garage to the car, so it only leaves them really, and this is the cause imo, its sharp inside those bends and enough rubbing on the belt will easily take out a tooth, and 1 tooth means 6 in 5mins, then snap lol
i dont think the oil would have enough time to do anything to the belt tbh, were talking like a month, its that bloody pulley.
does my old one look ok to you guys? you normally point out dodgy bits so thought id check. but like i said apparently it sticks out too much so mite have to file it down?