Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 3828 times)

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
Insurance
« on: August 13, 2008, 02:05:31 pm »
Hi all,

Apologies if this has cropped up before in another thread.

Some advice on insurance from other G40 owners.  I need to insure my G40 as a second car.

I know it's different for everyone depending on age, where you live etc but has anyone found a particular company to be good/cheap?

Also - I guess I would insure it for social only and something like 5,000 a year?  How much do you value them at also?  Book price or what you think yours is worth?

One more thing - you know that little thing you put in the dash on the right hand side of the wheel before the car will start.  Is it a factory immobiliser?  I've seen them on a few G40's now and mine has one but I'm not sure what it is and whether it's factory!

I may have to invest in an alarm to make the cost go down.

I'm looking at about £400 a year atm.  That's my second car so no no claims but 6 years driving.  I'd like to get it closer to £300.

Any advice appreciated :)  Thanks!

Gemma

Offline SteG40

• Members
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 04:52:07 pm »
I'm with HIC, mines with them as a second car on a classic policy which I think is quite good value. I pay about £500 but it has got alot of mods.

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
Re: Re: Insurance
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 05:23:45 pm »
Thanks Ste.  

I just gave them a call.  Dropped it to £339 for the year TPFT.

Do you have to specify a 'classic' policy?

I'm trying to get a policy which includes driving other cars 3rd party as most policies don't until you're 25.  It always works out about £100 more though.

I didn't realise my insurance didn't cover me for this until recently!  

How much are you all quoting the cars being worth?  I always say what I think it is worth but is that pointless as they'll only give you book price if it's written off?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: Insurance
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 05:41:39 pm »
insured for £2500 in a low crime area, thatcham cat2 immob, standard car can cheapest i could get it with 5k miles limit was £340 with 7 years no claims - thats as my main car.

i paid a bit more and went with brentacre too as i may want to swap to my project car when its done and they like modded cars.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Insurance
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 07:47:50 pm »
I'm with Brentacre too.  I have both my passat and g40 with them as they agreed to copy the 7+ years no claims bonus for both cars; while still letting them build up seperate bonuses too so at the moment I have like 8 years on my passat and one year on the g40 but still get the full discount on both cars!  Also they are very good with modifications which is good since my g40 has a lot.  No one else I tried could get anywhere near the £429 I paid for fully comp on my g40 (and 300 for my passat tpft).  They are also great guys to deal with and they know g40s too.

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Insurance
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 07:53:21 pm »
I'm paying under £300 TPFT with Adrian Flux for a heavily modified turbo'd Polo CL with G40 motor, that's on restricted mileage - I do get the driving other cars third party chucked in too, but I'm over 25 (just).

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Insurance
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 08:02:52 pm »
forgot to say, my g40 is on a 3k miles a year policy.  Only about £40 more for 5k though.

Adrian Flux were about another £100 more, I don't think they like my postcode, I sometimes struggle even getting quotes due to having an OL... postcode.  I live in the ghetto.

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Insurance
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 08:39:16 pm »
That's really useful.  Thanks all.  I give Brentacre a call.  I think I'm pushing my luck trying to get it under £300!

My other car is with Adrian Flux but they weren't as good on the G40.  

I wouldn't normally be so petty but I know I have to pay this off all in one go rather than monthly as moving out soon as need as much monthly cash as poss!

Just 2 big hurdles with the G40 - this and the charger rebuild then I can finally drive it and fix little bits as I go along.

Can't wait!

Gemma

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Insurance
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 10:57:58 am »
Thanks all as Brentacre came out best overall!

TPFT £319
Full Comp £439

5,000 miles a year. No mods but they'll let me have exhaust, suspension, air filter etc if needed.

Think I'm just gonna go for that one as pushing my luck now in getting it lower! I'm happy with that insurer as looks like the option would be there to modify if needed and I can drive other cars on it after I am 25.