Author Topic: Feasibility of an AAV turbo as a daily  (Read 8493 times)

Offline cheys03

• Members
Re: Feasibility of an AAV turbo as a daily
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 07:50:02 pm »
Yeah, you're all right chaps. However many ideas/work arounds are considered, the people in the know with the experience (yourselves!) all advise to do it right. It makes sense. Afterall the sump will have to be removed to add oil drain, gearbox to fit bigger clutch and the thermostat housing needs renewing anyway. Better the have the whole lot out and put it on the stand. Thanks chaps.

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2010, 02:23:00 am »
With the amount of boost I'm planning to run, will an oil cooler be necessary? The turbo will have the coolant lines planned in.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2010, 06:48:39 am »
In any turbo'd application you should have some form of oil temp control- an oil cooler is a good idea, along with a pressure and temp gauge.

Try Think Automotive- get a take off plate with a thermostat in too  :)

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2010, 08:44:19 am »
Cool, thanks for the pointer.

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2010, 03:08:07 pm »
What do you reckon to using a (slightly thicker) standard G40 head gasket on the AAV to reduce the compression a smidge? Worthwhile or too small a difference to be worth considering? Cheers

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2010, 09:41:18 pm »
Maybe consider it if you need to do a head gasket at some stage on the AAV, but I wouldn't take things apart just to do that.

I presume the whole reason for turbo'ing the AAV is to just do bolt-on mods? If you're taking the head off then you could consider a spacer plate to lower the compression, or even look at swapping to G40 pistons. And by then you may as well just've done a G40 conversion!

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2010, 11:39:28 pm »
It had a new head gasket just over a year ago, so like you say probably not worth stripping it for a G40 gasket just yet I guess. It was an idea to decrease the compression a smidge to reduce the risk of boost with the high compression a little. Want to stay away from majorly lowering the compression for the moment, mostly because am interested to see what the AAV is reliably capable of in standard form. Tommo's experiences and experimentation with a carb and Garret turbo are quite inspiring! If it can be run reliably to 130bhp, that'd be my ideal for the moment.

However, I'll admit to having a set of G40 pistons and a 2nd AAV engine on the shelf 'just incase' the standard compression AAV doesn't work out...!  ::)