Author Topic: breather pipe?  (Read 1353 times)

Offline jgb888

• Members
breather pipe?
« on: July 08, 2010, 11:13:49 pm »
hi all,

wondered if anyone colud help
i've got a 1.3 genesis which i changed the air filter on, (custom k&n) when i removed the flying saucer there were 2 pipes, 1 very small suction??? and 1 larger breather??? the breather has like a plastic bottle bit in the middle and the small suction i have just stuck through the filter so thats ok but do i need to connect the breather anywhere or is it ok near the filter?

got an MOT soon n wondered if it would mess the emmissions up?

cheers

Offline cheys03

• Members
Re: breather pipe?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 11:44:46 pm »
Large pipe is the block breather. Ideally this should go to a catch tank of some description.
Smaller pipe is vacuum hose which goes from the throttle body to an air temp valve and then onto a flap in the intake. When the intake air is cold the flap is closed to only take air in from the exhaust manifold warm air shroud. The vacuum pipe should be blocked off (do it at the throttle body to make it tidy).

Offline jgb888

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 04:43:45 pm »
its got a catch tank built in i think, a white or opaque 1 way valve bottle type mech inline thingy, the suction 1 i will stick a self tapper in low down then so u cant see it,

so what do i do about this catch tank thingy cos its all cable tied up close to the air filter?

any ideas pics etc would be appreciated TA!

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 06:39:07 pm »
The white plastic transparent-ish cylinder isn't really a catch tank. You should rig up a catch tank for it. It doesn't need to be a polished metal job -  a coke bottle will do if looked after and used correctly.

Offline jgb888

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 09:51:10 pm »
cool i read a thread about this recently,

i know its only a standard 1.3 but would like a nice one!!

i'm an engineer so think i can weld a tank n like the last pics of the ally one make it a bit like this, can i do away with the opaque bottle thing or is that the 1 way valve?

cheers
john

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 09:54:49 pm »
I think you can do either. I'd be tempted to leave it there to be honest.
Be sure to post pics of your tank!  :)