Author Topic: Brake caliper paint  (Read 2546 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Brake caliper paint
« on: June 17, 2010, 10:58:58 am »
What do you guys use ? I been told and read alot of instances of people using hammerite I know it's not heatproof but loads of people have used it on there car with no problems any one on here used it ?
I only ask as I can got a load of it at work so can use it for free and need y calipers painted balck before fitting them.
 Should I put my hand in my pocket n get some vht paint instead ?

Offline cheys03

• Members
Re: Brake caliper paint
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 11:12:19 am »
Please for the love of god do not use Halfords caliper paint!!

Never known such an excellent example of not suitable for purpose. Had to put about 10 layers on in the thinest coats possible so it had a chance to dry. Even then there were bits which refused to harden. It turned my brand new calipers into a reddy mush. The best bit is it runs when brake fluid is spilt on to it. Avoid!

I've heard Hammerite Smooth is OK.

Offline g40Ross

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 09:10:53 pm »
was it the brush paint you used from halfords? or the spray can as on one of my previous cars i used the hlafords pray caliper paint and it was spot on!

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 09:59:30 pm »
was it the brush paint you used from halfords? or the spray can as on one of my previous cars i used the hlafords pray caliper paint and it was spot on!
Same with the brush on stuff for me. did you clean your callipers before hand?

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 12:37:19 am »
Paint on stuff. Yeah the calipers were brand new and degreased before painting. I guess it's possible the zinc coating on the calipers was slippy for the paint. I'm still too put off it to ever use again though. Alot of reviews on the website say the same. Maybe they've changed the mixture at some point. I bought mine in March.

Offline g40Ross

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 08:31:59 pm »
i bought mine about 5 years ago

Offline jgb888

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 01:18:58 pm »
hamerite smooth mate!
i painted mine bout 6 months ago, like all paint avoid brake fluid, use a pipe when bleeding, i use an old bit of washer pipe its clear so u can see the bubbles if any